just cancelled verizon, paid etf and went back to att, advice

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jamesschmidtke, Jan 27, 2011.

1. jamesschmidtke macrumors regular

So I used to live in a horribly serviced neighborhood for ATT. This is all pre micro cell. I switched to Verizon as they were decently serviced there. I was out of contract with ATT as I was an og iPhone buyer before the price drops. Bought the Droid incredible at Verizon and have had numerous probs with the device and crappy refurbs as well. Lately people don't get my text messages and I get theirs in giant clumps way after the fact. Was willing to give iPhone on Verizon a chance until they renigged on the promised early upgrade that they promised me some months back and moved it to may. So frustrated with my lack of options I paid the early termination of 270 and said I need a phone that works.
    I
    I've also moved to an a neighborhood which has better ATT reception than Verizon last year . I know in this current climate its unheard of for a Verizon contract customer to go and pay to leave and be back on ATT for iPhone 4 ,days before iPhone on Verizon.

But I need a phone that works now, not three months from now, I can always sell iPhone 4 contact free on eBay and buy iPhone 5 at retail if I desire.

My question is am I making the right decision? IPhone 4 from ATT ships in a few days and I have until the fourth to change my mind about Verizon . Ps the no data while calling thing does bother me. If this is slightly disjointed, its cause I wrote this on my incredible

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Its not unheard of.
    People switch carriers all the time for various reasons.
    Try out the iphone phone and AT&T service for 30 days and see how it goes. If its not working for you then switch again and pick up the iphone on Verizon.

3. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Since you seem fairly neutral with Verizon vs AT&T, just go with AT&T because (if you want), the actual device will sell higher due to the fact its GSM and will work with more networks.

4. Dandrews524 macrumors 6502

im not a verizon rep or anything but im pretty sure once you cancel a verizon contract you cant go back to them for like 60 or 90 days

5. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

Sounds like the right move to me. I paid off Verizon too a while back. Best move ever. I had poor service with Verizon and now have great service with AT&T. It's all about location. Go where you get the best service. :)

6. bikedogrun macrumors member

bikedogrun

Interesting. I actually just did nearly the same thing. Paying VZ ~$200 to leave and bought an IP4 on eBay. Much happier on AT&T (which definitely surprised me) and actually getting better coverage too! Moving my wife & daughter to iPhones in a Fam Plan, with the $15 for 200 MG plan works great for non-heavy users.

I took a trip recently to the Bay Area near Stanford U and was shocked to have better coverage on the Att ip4 than a Droid Incredible on VZ... This was near SLAC. SO - don't sweat it. Do what is right and works best for you.

I also need the voice/data concurrently and ability to use my iPhone in Europe... I'm fine with AT&T and plan to stay awhile (certainly thru the IP5).

/BD :cool:

7. m.a.c.b.o.y macrumors member

I am a long time verizon customer and will be getting the iPhone 4 launch day, but with your situation I would absolutely switch to AT&T, it seems to be the right choice for you.

8. Zepaw macrumors 65816

Zepaw

It is really not a big deal. On an individual basis you have to find the carrier that serves you best. Getting an Evo 4G would not do someone with garbage Sprint signal any good.

AT&T gets the "bad reception" label a lot, but AT&T is certainly a better choice for plenty of people.

9. jamesschmidtke thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks so much guys, you all helped ease my mind. It felt right but , a little educated outside opinion always helps! ;):apple:

10. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

i had alot of issues with verizon too. switched to att a few years ago for the iphone and couldnt be happier......ok thats a lie id be happier if att would give in and give my girlfriends line unlimited data so both my lines have unlimited.

11. wingsabr macrumors 6502

wingsabr

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Yep not un heard of at all. I paid 2 etfs to get rid of verizon 2 weeks ago. I'm happy to be back with AT&T and I even got unlimited data back.

12. rmitchell248 macrumors 6502

13. err404 macrumors 68020

Coverage comes first

Most people will be similarly satisfied with either iOS or Android. I've heard plenty of praise and bile about each.
    Figure out which carrier or carriers have the best service in your area, and then pick the best phone they offer. AT&T gets a bad reputation largely because the tech media is concentrated in areas where AT&T is the weakest (much of CA and to a lesser extent NYC).
    In my area VZ an AT&T are about equal with AT&T having a slight edge.

14. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

If he paid his ETF why wouldn't they let him back it makes no sense. Not saying you are wrong, but just questioning their policy if thats the case.

For the OP the AT&T iphone has a lot of advantages, if you are ok with AT&T service and reception where you are then don't get caught up in the hype and let Verizon Marketing let you beleive that their network is vastly superior, Just stick with AT&T and enjoy surfing the net or running data apps while on the phone. Also the ability to switch phones by simply removing the sim card, the higher resale value of a GSM phone especially if you know how to unlock it. and the fact that you can use it overseas if you ever travel.

15. whiteyanderson macrumors 6502

Correct. He can go back any time. Even today if he wanted to. He may lose his number though.