Just curious - can I walk into an Apple store and buy an Watch with beta IOS 9 on my iPhone?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Klaatu63, Jul 21, 2015.

1. Klaatu63 macrumors regular

Klaatu63

2. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

3. Mtkates macrumors newbie

Yes it is ok, and if for some reason you don't want them to see your phone, just tell them you will set it up at home. However, they will not care what is on your phone and probably will not even notice what iOS version is on it.

4. Klaatu63 thread starter macrumors regular

Klaatu63

Thanks, I am old fashioned and always play by the rules - heading down to my local Apple store.

5. IllusionEntity macrumors 6502

IllusionEntity

If you're that worried. Restore to 8.4 and install the public beta. No problems

6. AbeFrohman macrumors 6502

AbeFrohman

You could walk in with a Blackberry and buy a watch. They don't care what OS you're running - they'll sell you the watch and you can set it up at home. Walk out with it still sealed in plastic.

They'd even sell you a watch if you walked in announcing loudly that you jailbreak and are proud of it.

A sale's a sale.

7. JOSEPH99 macrumors member

JOSEPH99

It called Public Beta for a reason.

8. iBighouse macrumors 6502a

iBighouse

I would recommend against it. I'm sure the flashing lights, sirens, horns and the dropping of the (never before seen, but it's made of buttery smooth alue-min-EE-um) security gate will frighten the other shoppers.

9. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Sure, if you want to be arrested. I wouldn't push my luck if I were you. I heard sometimes they even drug test potential customers. Apple is known for being picky about who they will sell to.

10. Klaatu63 thread starter macrumors regular

Klaatu63

Well I went down to my local friendly Apple Store and bought an Apple Watch, as mentioned above nobody noticed my IOS 9 Beta version when we paired the watch with my iPhone 5s. But much to my surprise when I got home I found out that IOS ( Public Beta has the old 1.01 watch software. Bummer!

11. HopefulHumanist macrumors 6502a

There's no public beta, and for good reason. Even after 4 betas, OS 2 is still pretty bad. I mean, my watch got bricked updating from beta 3 to beta 4; not to mention all the bugs here and there. Honestly, without any new 2.0 apps, there's little benefit to be had on OS 2 and the problems far outweigh the benefits.

12. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

Why would anyone look at your phone?

13. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

As I used to be an avid iPhone jailbreaker, I have had several Apple Store employees peruse my various model iPhones while they were jailbroken. My personal experience is the individual employees could care less.

And why would they be concerned you have installed a beta firmware that Apple has specifically made available to anyone willing to register with their AppleID ?

14. DF1234 macrumors newbie

You will be fine. I walked into the Apple Store, told them that I had IOS9 Beta 4 and wanted to buy a watch. The person checked with someone else, came back and said sure, it would work fine. I then purchased the watch, brought it home and paired it. It works fine. I then downloaded watchOS 4 and put it on the watch and all is okay.