Just curious [Lightning Connector]

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by blizzjazz, Sep 16, 2012.

1. blizzjazz macrumors newbie

I find it rather weird that the new Lightning connector reveals its pins. Say what if I connected the cord to an outlet and for some reason, I don't know why, touch the pins? I get the impressions that I'll be electrocuted.

Any thoughts? Or did Apple design an impressive system that outsmarts my thinking?

2. Powrie macrumors 6502

USB cables are only capable of 5 Volts.

It wont electrocute you because its very little power to charge the device.

3. Siggen, Sep 16, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2012

Siggen macrumors 6502

Pish posh.

Don't flatter your self, your not that conductive.
    Go ahead, touch them when you get your iPhone, won't do a thing.

That not exactly how electricity works. The voltage is just the "motor" that pushes the electrons. How many electrons are pushed is called Ampere, and is the "dangerous thing". You have to high resistance to let 5v go trough your skin, and into "ground" which is where the electrons go.
    And the iPhone charger can deliver a few times more ampere than regular USB, even then its not dangerous.

4. fizzwinkus macrumors 6502a

The amps pushed by the connector would be dangerous if you managed to shove it through your ribcage, with your heart between the power pin and ground pin, at the same time managing to send exactly the right resistance for hardware handshaking, to trigger the control into sending power down the line.

Moral of the story? Don't mess with master electricians from the temple of doom.