Just curious (what made you choose the iPhone)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by batting1000, Mar 21, 2012.

1. batting1000 macrumors 604

I'm just curious...what made you choose the iPhone? Whether you started with it in 2007 or just recent made the jump from another OS, why did you choose the iPhone?

2. andyx3x macrumors 65816

I got the first gen iPhone in January 2008. I had to really think hard about whether or not I wanted to spend $400 on a phone.

The deciding factors for me were that I had never had an iPod and wanted one and to be able to browse the web in it's true form. It's one of the best purchases that I've ever made.

3. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

Wirelessly posted

I chose the iPhone back in 2007 because at the time it was just so cool and futuristic since then I haven't stopped loving them.

4. ap3604, Mar 22, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  5. RolandNights macrumors 6502a

I had one of Sprint's "flagship" Android phones from 2010, the Epic 4G. Aside from using Swype, managing my calendar, and a few cool UI features, I didn't really feel like I was making the most of my smartphone since I didn't like many apps. The GPS was so inaccurate, it was practically useless, and WiFi was too unstable. Rooting it was neat, but yeah, the fact was I got tired of constantly tinkering with it (for some reason, the Epic didn't see much developer support as other phones), and I still didn't find much functionality out of it since I still didn't like a lot of apps and I still had busted WiFi/GPS. It was pretty much a glorified texting/facebooking device.

I actually found my 4th gen iPod Touch more enjoyable to use, and I found that my iPod Touch worked really well with my MBP after Lion and iOS5 came out. So when my contract expired earlier this year, I decided to sell the iPod Touch and old Android and get an iPhone.

6. carefreecork macrumors member

Wirelessly posted

I bought the iPhone4 in late 2010 - a huge leap from my Nokia 3320 (which died after many happy years of service).
    I looked at several phones but the style and usability of the iPhone won me over. It has been one of the best purchases I have made - I use it now for minor tasks that I would do on my PC and has become invaluable. Will be upgrading to the new iPhone when it comes late this year and am converting to a new MacBook Pro when they arrive - been thinking about and iPad too (but this can probably wait). I fear I am becoming an Apple fanboy!

7. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

In late 2006/early 2007, I was looking for a phone that had a calendar, music player, etc. Blackberry didn't seem to have anything decent and neither did anyone else.
    I was contemplating the two device solution when I heard news stories about the iphone. I watched the keynote and saw the iphone. I bought it on the day of release and have been happy ever since.
    Ironically, I was an early jb'er because I wanted customized ringtones. The rest of it didn't interest me and I fell out of it. Eventually, I got back into it and discovered about software unlocks and just how cool the cydia store was with its software options.

8. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

9. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I'd actually been looking for a cell phone from 2005 - 2007 that would sync both contacts AND the contact photos from my Mac's calendar. (Not smart, mind you. Just ANY phone.)

The options were very few and the ones that did do it didn't really excite me. Not to mention that it was a manual sync over USB. Not that I'd expected internet syncing, but they weren't even up to the level of 'iTunes does it automatically when you plug it in.'

So, naturally, the iPhone made me very happy when I heard about it. It's not a big thing, but that's what I started out with as my first desire for a smartphone.

10. cynics macrumors G4

My work provides it for me, 16gb 4S. Since I didn't spend my money on it I don't have any need to defend a purchase. And after owning it since December I wouldn't buy one with my own money.

11. windowstomac macrumors regular

Bought an Android device cos it was cheaper, hated it, swallowed the cost and bought the iPhone I always wanted really!

12. tekno macrumors 6502a

I chose the first iPhone as it completely changed the game and have had the 3G, 3GS and 4S since then.

But today my Samsung Galaxy S2 has been delivered which marks an end to my time with the iPhone (for how long, who knows!). I've been very underwhelmed by the 4S and there are many things that have always annoyed me about the iPhone that still haven't been sorted.

13. baconroll macrumors member

My S2 was delivered also and went back after two days. The phone is just too big to hold comfortably in one hand. Texting was a nightmare for me. Also although the screen is very nice, I found the colours just to be a bit too bright and saturated. Back to my iPhone 4s.

14. dsquared81 macrumors 6502

In 2008 my ipod got stolen from my car. I wanted to consolidate devices, stop using Blackberry, browse the web more effectively, and have my music on me, I jumped from my curve to the iphone 3g. Haven't looked back ever since

Edit: actually now that its coming back to me more clearly, my ipod was jacked earlier in 2008 when the iphone 3g hadn't released yet. Was hearing rumors that a new one would release in the summer (perfect timing with my updarade being available, so I held out as long as I could wihtout an ipod.