Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jason B

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 21, 2010
Just did jailbreakme.com for my I4.

1) Can I backup and sync normally in itunes now without hurting anything? What If I have jailbroken apps in folders with normal apps from apple. Just want to make sure I can sync and backup without hurting anything.

2) If I ever want to update to a newer apple firmware down the road, I can't believe you have to restore the whole phone to do this! Then you lose all your jailbroken content! Isn't there a way to back up the jailbroken stuff? Its super easy to jailbreak it, you would think you could uninstall the jailbreak just as quick, but I guess that isn't the case.

cobra5mil

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2010
Just did jailbreakme.com for my I4.

1) Can I backup and sync normally in itunes now without hurting anything? What If I have jailbroken apps in folders with normal apps from apple. Just want to make sure I can sync and backup without hurting anything.

2) If I ever want to update to a newer apple firmware down the road, I can't believe you have to restore the whole phone to do this! Then you lose all your jailbroken content! Isn't there a way to back up the jailbroken stuff? Its super easy to jailbreak it, you would think you could uninstall the jailbreak just as quick, but I guess that isn't the case.

1) You can now backup and sync normally using iTunes. Transfer apps/music and create restore points. Keep in mind any jailbroken apps will not be synced with iTunes, they will be skipped.

2) Look into using AptBackup. It will automatically reinstall any of your Cydia apps if you ever have to do a full restore.

Jason B

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 21, 2010
Wanted to say everything is working smoothly. BUt, I when I plugged in my phone today I got this:

" Itunes has found purchased items on the iphone thats are not present in your itunes library. Do you want to transfer these items from this iphone back to your itunes library?"

if you do not transfer these purchased items to your itunes library, they will be removed from the iphone.

I let it transfer them. Could this be that I downloaded the tom tom app from istallus? Will it actually copy apple apps that you got for free due to being jailbreaked?

cobra5mil

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2010
Every time you purchase an app on your iPhone, iTunes will download it the next time you sync so your phone and computer will both have the same apps and versions. I can't comment on TomTom as I have never used Installus.

I wouldn't bother asking too many questions related to Installus since that is not allowed to be discussed here.

Jason B

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 21, 2010
Ok, well know it's going this whicle backing up....

I don't know what this is, and it ends up freezing when it gets to this file. (see screen shot I took while backing up). I haven't really added much on the phone since I jailbroke and backed up last. Imovie, and made 2 movies with it, some ring tones, tom tom, oplayer, rock, and not much else.

Any ideas? Driving me nuts!

Attachments

• itunes.jpg
    itunes.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 91

cobra5mil

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2010
That would probably be a movie that you made on 8/8/2010. Try deleting it and seeing if the phone will sync correctly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.