iPhone 7(+) Just dropped my iPhone 7 and broke the screen -- suggestions from here?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by shunting123, Feb 10, 2019.

1. shunting123 macrumors member

Hi, all.
    I was thinking about doing a trade-in of my iPhone 7 for an XR or XS anyway but couldn't make up my mind on which one I wanted, and then I kind of convinced myself -- as usual -- to just wait until the next cycle.
    So today, I dropped my iPhone 7 on the floor, shattering the display. It is still fully functional, but the display is broken.

Any advice on what my best options are from here? Should I get Apple to replace the screen and then do a trade-in?

I do not have Apple Care, so it would be $149 to replace the screen through Apple, or I could pay $99 for someone else to do it, but would using someone other than Apple jeopardize my ability to get the full trade-in value?

Finally, given that we are already at February, should I consider just getting the screen replaced and holding out another 6-7 months until the next phones arrive?

Thank you, all.

2. rbrian macrumors 6502a

rbrian

I think the best thing to do is get the screen replaced cheaply, and then wait.

3. Minorite macrumors 6502

Minorite

Definitely wait till September imo. About the screen, I don't really remember if they accept phones with third-party screens for trade-in, so better to do it with Apple just in case.

4. AppleHaterLover macrumors 65816

Have Apple replace it. My number 1 phone-related regret was replacing an iPhone 4 screen with a non-OEM replacement. It was 95% like an original, but you could see the screen wasn't just as good.

5. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Have Apple repair the phone. That should give you many more months use of the phone, and time to decide what to in September.

6. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Apple will still accept the trade in with a third-party display, they don’t even check for that type of situation. As long as the display is fully intact and not damaged, and working operable, they will accept it.

7. shunting123 thread starter macrumors member

So I should replace the screen, with no major concerns about going with Apple vs a reputable third-party, and I’m better off waiting until September or October rather than taking advantage of Apple’s trade-in offer right now?

8. tt061282 macrumors regular

tt061282

I’m gonna be completely honest with you... idk how long you have had this iPhone 7, but the iPhone 7 is STILL in 2019 a GREAT iPhone. There’s arguments out there on YouTube and such that says it’s the best iPhone by value to buy this year... the 7 and the Xʀ... if you truly break it down and look at it ... it is pretty close. While I still say the iPhone Xʀ is the BEST “people” iPhone Apple has ever release, the iPhone 7 is right behind it at its current price point. It is $449 for crying out loud and the A10 is still a BEAST of a SOC.

With all that said and the fact that I am a person with an iPhone X, XS max and Xʀ at this very moment... I still sometimes envy the iPhone 7. Idk why and can’t explain it, but it is truly one of my favorite iPhones that’s apple ever RELEASED.

TLDR, I say fix the screen any way. With or without Apple and keep that iPhone 7 until September

9. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Look at it like two ways, if you replace the display with Apple, they obviously will ensure the display is to OEM specification and it’s warranted through them. If you use a third-party, [Which I would make sure it’s reputable], the screen quality may not be exactly as good as Apples, but if you have intentions of trading the phone in, then that should suffice as long as you can accept that until you can upgrade.

10. Steve121178 macrumors 601

Steve121178

Just get a cheap replacement screen to see you through to September. I wouldn't waste good money on an official in-store repair.

11. wproct macrumors 6502

wproct

Opinions are all you are getting, so here is mine. I would get an Apple screen replacement and not worry about when you trade it in. As others have said, the 7 is still a great phone. Of course that's how I feel about my 6s also.