Just dropped my MBP from a 4th story shelf? Yikes!

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
:eek:

I set it down its about chest high. It was folded on some towels.

But the towel was slightly angled.

I set it down and walked off. After I took about 7-8 steps I just heard a distant yet succinct thud. Muffled but not hollow. It sounded like it was nothing much.

But inside my heart sank. Is this it I thought? Thousands down the drain?

Luckily when I went back it was like borderline on the towel; it hit the corner near the power supply. Everything looks OK. There was a wanna be scratch that rubbed off and is not really there.

It was asleep and when I open the screen it didn't immediately wake, but when i hit the power button was back to normal. But I did hear some sort of Hard Drive type sounds. I was too lazy to put an SSD in yet so its a stock drive still.

Do you guys think Ill be OK? The keyboard had some debris on it all of a sudden, its like some dust got loose from the keys. It landed on the corner then on its top flap upside down.

Do you guys think it will suddenly have phantom issues, I'm 13% kinda paranoid.

But it seems fine...

it was quite a long drop. Like at least four feet. I guess the unibody makes it indestructible right? haha...

Right? :/

andeify

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2012
UK
I bet its fine except for the hard drive, computer chips are quite shock resistant but hard drives are not.

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
:eek:

I set it down its about chest high. It was folded on some towels.

But the towel was slightly angled.

I set it down and walked off. After I took about 7-8 steps I just heard a distant yet succinct thud. Muffled but not hollow. It sounded like it was nothing much.

But inside my heart sank. Is this it I thought? Thousands down the drain?

Luckily when I went back it was like borderline on the towel; it hit the corner near the power supply. Everything looks OK. There was a wanna be scratch that rubbed off and is not really there.

It was asleep and when I open the screen it didn't immediately wake, but when i hit the power button was back to normal. But I did hear some sort of Hard Drive type sounds. I was too lazy to put an SSD in yet so its a stock drive still.

Do you guys think Ill be OK? The keyboard had some debris on it all of a sudden, its like some dust got loose from the keys. It landed on the corner then on its top flap upside down.

Do you guys think it will suddenly have phantom issues, I'm 13% kinda paranoid.

But it seems fine...

it was quite a long drop. Like at least four feet. I guess the unibody makes it indestructible right? haha...

Right? :/
At this point you should be backing up all your data and preparing to buy an SSD.

5to1

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2008
Hugely misleading title in my opinion :(

Opened this thread eager to find out who the hell put a shelf on the fourth storey of a building in the first place, how you got your laptop up there and what possessed you to leave it there. :( what a let down

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
Being that its all solid state at this point, if it turned on, you should be ok. I understand the concern about long term viability, heck I'd be just as worried but I think you're good to go :)

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
Well it's been working fine now and I guess it's good to go thanks for the positive comments guys.

The reason I have been putting it off is that I was waiting for the new 960 SSDs to be available to purchase and by then I realized SSDs too are done so now I just have to get a maxed out retina 15 but I'm waiting for one more refresh so the whole thing was kind of a "slippery slope."

Pun intended. Man that was a pretty long drop I can't believe nothing bad happened. I guess maybe it did mostly land on the towel, I don't know it could have been either/or. It kinda feels like it's indestructible now though because I never realized the case was really that durable.