Just exactly how can I take a video from my IP4 and put it on my computer.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ozziegn, Jun 27, 2010.

1. ozziegn macrumors 6502a

ozziegn

I use to have a 3GS but I hardly ever recorded video so I never bothered to ask this question. but now that I have an IP4 that takes pretty good videos, I'd like to save them on my desktop.

I feel kinda dumb asking this question but how do I do this?

2. JayDude132 macrumors 6502

Just plug it in, go to your iphone files in windows explorer, and there it is. Unless you use a mac, then im not sure. but also on windows machines, when you plug in your phone a dialog automatically pops up asking if you want to view the files. just click that and then copy/paste.

EDIT: I see you have a 27" iMac... My bad. I'm sure it isnt too different though.

3. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

On your iMac, right? Just open iPhoto when your iPhone is attached to your computer and import.

4. mistertomlinson macrumors 6502

On Mac, open iPhoto. If your iPhone doesn't show up, open iPhoto preferences and in the General menu, from the "Connecting Camera Opens" dropbox, choose "iPhoto. Then relaunch iPhoto and it'll automatically detect your iPhone.

5. LadyC macrumors newbie

I use Image Capture to import pictures and videos. Really straightforward if you prefer organizing your files manually rather than using iPhoto. Just launch it with your phone plugged in and it will prompt you immediately.

6. Brymo macrumors regular

7. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Why image capture over iPhoto? Especially with iPhoto's faces and locations features.

8. fckdroid macrumors newbie

well that's assuming he has iphoto 09. lot of folks just did the $29 upgrade from Tiger and don't have that version of iphoto and will need to get it somewhere.

9. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Like from Apple? A lot of people do have iPhoto '09, including everyone who bought a Mac in the past year and a half and anyone who bought iLife in the past year and a half.

10. djgulia macrumors 6502

i don't have iPhoto 09. Didn't feel like the upgrade to iLife 09 was worth it. Will have to keep Image Capture in mind.

11. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I like Image Capture for the manual control of the files

12. mgmusicman94 macrumors 6502a

Image Capture = Fast & Simple
    iPhoto = Slow, More work than is needed, Big library data files

If you're doing quick transfers of one or two videos, image capture is the way to go. You dont have to make an event and all that crap, you can just export to a folder and be done with it. I photo is good when you're importing pictures and videos from a big trip and want to share them or make a slideshow.