Just for fun hypothetical: Say you only have an iPhone 2G. . .

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by braddick, Jun 12, 2012.

1. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

. . .and it'll be your only cell phone for the next six months. How would you set it up? What apps would you install and what about the iPhone 2G (original iPhone) vs the model you carry now with your current features loaded would you miss the most?

I'd have to give up so much, but at least I'd have music and podcasts to listen to.
    I'd definitely jailbreak so I could add Cycorder and have some type of video recording capacity.
    I know the latest firmware for this iPhone is 3.1.3 so I'd do some digging into the iTunes store and see what is still available for download.

It would be a long six months, but it is manageable.
    How about you?

2. Big.Mac.Daddy macrumors 6502a

iPhone 2G for the next 6 months? You must like torture ;)

I'd probably keep it as bare bones as possible since the internals are terrible by todays standards and probably can't handle much.

I would DEF use Opera browser since your stuck with an 2G edge connection and it speeds up page rendering with their servers.

3. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I'd stick to email, texts, phone calls. Pandora should still work. Wouldn't be TOO bad. It would still be way better than a flip phone.

4. braddick thread starter macrumors 68040

braddick

Opera browser? I hadn't thought of that.
    I think, surprisingly, the iPhone could handle a bit more than we let on, but certainly by today's standards, it is lacking.

5. sixteen12 macrumors regular

Doesn't it have the same internals as the 3G minus the radio? I assume I'd use it much the same way I used my 3G . Mostly music, texting, emails. Web pages and maps if needed.

I don't think it would be that bad, the 2G isn't even a huge deal, it's all I get at my parents place in rural Canada anyways.

Really the usage wouldn't change that much. Less pictures but not the end of the world.

6. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Your biggest limitation is going to be app compatibility. Aside from that, the 2G data speeds will have you crawling while not on wifi. But hey, there are over a million TMO USA users that deal with exactly that on their newer iPhones!

7. B777Forevar macrumors 6502a

B777Forevar

8. dweezle3 macrumors regular

dweezle3

Whited00r is definitely one of the best options available for the original iPhone, or even the 3G. iOS 5 features on such an old phone is really great. And it's a bit faster than stock firmware I think...

9. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

Not a single app currently in the App Store would work.

10. jpetticrew macrumors 6502a

jpetticrew

Not true. In fact, MOST apps currently in the app store will work.

11. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

No, only the older versions of the apps. I believe iPhone 2G didn't get any further than iOS 3 and most apps require at least iOS 4 nowadays.

12. BrokeTechLover macrumors regular

Actually I was using my 2G for a year b4 I got the iPhone 4,& I installed whited00r,added songs to the max,apps to a limited and necessary amount,& added everything else from Cydia. I was very happy actually lol

13. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

If you're not too faint of heart, once jailbroken you can actuallly overclock it too to the regular frequency. (Apple chose to underclock the CPU for battery life, so its not really an 'overclock' per se as you're just resetting it to the stock) I did this when I was saddled with my 2G last year and it helped immensely. YMMV however.

14. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

I would just buy a flip phone from Walmart and save money. No sense paying the high cost for operating a smartphone when it's severely limited and not able to take advantage of modern advancement.

15. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I'd have to find a Wi-Fi voice app since there's no GSM where I live. Apart from that, it's hard to say. I'd have an MSN/GTalk client (I currently use Imo but I don't know whether it runs under iOS 3).

16. blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

The battery's likely shot as well. I would look on Craigslist for a decent used android phone or just buy the unlocked galaxy nexus (its absolutely worth 350).

17. quietstormSD macrumors 6502a

quietstormSD

Definitely jailbreak. I wonder if there is a tweak out there that can trick the app store into thinking the phone is on the latest firmware on the latest phone so you can still download some apps that wouldn't be compatible. Never the less I would jailbreak.

18. ann713 macrumors 6502a

I was still using the 2G as a back up device, up until 4 months ago. It really wasn't that bad. Totally tolerable for text, talk, browsing (Opera).

19. BiggAW macrumors 68020

I'd get Appswitcher to do multitasking. It's not as polished as the way Apple does it in iOS4, but it is really cool. I really like it when I had it on my 3rd gen iPod Touch with 3.1.3, which I kept for a while, even when 4 came out. I jumped directly from 3.1.3 on the iPod Touch to 5.0.0 on the iPhone 4S.

There are many apps with obnoxious developers who require OSes later than 3.1.3.