Just found out I have an old Apple III monitor.

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by NameUndecided, Feb 13, 2012.

1. NameUndecided macrumors 6502a

After my dad's garage had been cleaned out a little, I've found out that we have one of these.

It powers on. The green screen is very pretty. I've no computer that it will plug into.

I think that I'm going to put it on Craigslist here in Austin to see how quickly (or slowly) it sells since I'm seeing it on eBay for around $200. In the mean time, is there anything fun that I might be able to do with it? I see that it has an RCA-style plug-in cord, so maybe I can connect it to something with that type of input (I've no idea)?

I'm not a deliberate collector of this sort of thing, but it's certainly fun to find that I have something like this in working condition.

2. cocacolakid macrumors 65816

cocacolakid

If it is an RCA style cord you should be able to plug in an older 1980's video game system (Atari, Colecovision, Intellivision, etc.) or similar age computer (TI 99/4A, Vic 20, etc.). You can also hook up anything with a simple RCA style video out, meaning the video game systems of the 1990's also had those connectors (NES, Sega Saturn, Genesis, etc.) It would be interesting to see what the picture looks like. Not positive it would work but I don't see why not.

3. NameUndecided, Feb 13, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2012

NameUndecided thread starter macrumors 6502a

Actually, my U-Verse set box has RCA inputs, and it's plugging into that and receiving the video just fine. So there's… three minutes of amusement!

I see now though that the monitor screen does look a little "peeled," without a better way to describe it. The physical texture of the screen feels consistent. It just looks somewhat dirty and wiping it down hasn't been 100% helpful. I'll continue to mess with it though.

edit: Aaaand that screen imperfection is gone after about ten minutes. Seems to have been moisture from cleaning the whole monitor before that wouldn't at all wipe or smudge away. Still some actual dirt spots on the screen from being in the garage for so long; there might be some way to actually clean them off.

4. bperrin86 macrumors newbie

5. David Schmidt macrumors 6502

David Schmidt

Check for actual _sales_ of Monitor ///'s. People generally can't give them away for the shipping cost. They were wildly popular back in the day, so are plentiful now. They're great if you want an exceptionally slow phosphor effect, though...

6. Mr Rabbit macrumors 6502a

Mr Rabbit

This is awesome!

7. alice04 macrumors regular

alice04

WOW!! that's awesome. how old is that monitor. whew

8. JohnGrey macrumors 6502

JohnGrey

Is the front plate (plastic piece around the screen and video controls) brown or grey? Brown ones are pretty common, usually 1 - 3 on eBay at any given time. The grey ones, which were limited to the last year of the Apple IIIs production and was generally intended to match the plus, are not exactly rare but a bit more uncommon.

9. NameUndecided thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oh, hello. As an update -- I sold this some time after creating this thread well over a year ago.

I think it took me a month or two to finally send it off to someone for about $100. I remember it sat on Craigslist for maybe a month or more with a couple separate listings. I don't recall for sure if I put it up on eBay but I don't think that I did because I didn't want to ship it… But then I'm pretty sure the buyer found it via the Craigslist ad and had it shipped out anyway because he lived in a different part of the state.

I am pretty certain it was brown and not grey. I'm glad because otherwise I'd likely be needlessly fretting.
    "What? Did I undersell it?? Why didn't I do more research??"

10. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

The brown ones match the Apple ///'s...

11. tdiaz macrumors 6502

Though I've seen several purplish ones over the years, and an amber once, I have a grey inset bezel one here with the purple screen. Got it with a prototype /// Plus at one point.

12. JohnGrey macrumors 6502

JohnGrey

:eek: Do you have pictures of the prototype?