just gave up of Macbook Pro 17,or not?! :@ now need 17'',maybe DELLStudio17 or what?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by macmania82, May 31, 2009.

1. macmania82 macrumors regular

Hi friends,

I'M A MAC DREAMER, MAC MANIA!!I was dreaming about 17 macbook pro for years, finally got enough money for that. but graphic card problems really made me disappointed! and i don't feel comfortable to waste that much big money for a problematic laptop :(

I need 17'' and a kind of strong. I use it for graphic design and web development. I had DELL XPS M170 for more than 2 years, and I was VERY HAPPY of that. but it is dead anymore and repairing cost too much money!

I hate Windows and really want to use Mac OS X Leopard. I saw at youtube some videos about running Mac OS X Leopard on DELL Studio 17''. So I can run Mac OS X Leopard on, and it is cheaper, and no defective part like mbp graphic card... do you think if I'm doing mistake with such thinking?!

what can I buy now for 17'', I have actually around 2500$ but I dont want to spend more than 1000$ for any laptop apart mbp?
    DELL Studio 17'' looks nice. but I'm not sure.. or do I make mistake with being so disappointed of mbp only cos of a defective part? Im so confused!

Thanks for helps

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

If your budget is $1000 you won't be getting a Mac laptop with a screen larger than 13". Sounds like you should either save or buy a Windows machine- you'd probably be able to get a pretty decent one for $1k.

3. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

+1 to what miles01110 said.

Also remember that the new unibody MBPs don't have the NVIDIA graphics problem, or at least NVIDIA hasn't told anyone it's prone to failure yet.

If you've been looking at the older non-unibody MBPs, then yes they do have that problem. Same goes for Dell, Sony and a bunch of other computer makers that used those bad NVIDIA cards.

If you do go for the Dell, make sure it doesn't use a bad NVIDIA card.

4. macmania82 thread starter macrumors regular

hi I actually have about 2500$ which i saved for mbp : ) but dont wanna spend that much money for any laptop apart mbp. I would just go for mbp in that case. If i decide for dell or any other laptop, i dont wanna spend more than 1000$, becaouse I'd feel bad of already speding so much money for dell rather than mbp

5. macmania82 thread starter macrumors regular

I hardly made enough money for Macbook Pro Penryn. I can't afford Unibody now. I'm in Poland and there is about 800$ difference in here :(

6. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

I see. Then go for the Dell. It's not worth spending that much on a Penryn with the graphics issue. I thought you didn't want to buy the unibody MBP because you thought it had the same problems.

As for OS X on Dells, it can be possible. Just don't come asking for help here. I think it's against the rules. Search on Google for forums made for hackintoshes.

P.S.
    Also make sure to check out Windows 7. Microsoft is giving people a chance to download it and try it for free. It's actually pretty nice and it will be much easier than maintaining a hackintosh.

7. macmania82 thread starter macrumors regular

If I would not be in hurry, I would wait to make some more money for Unibody Macbook Pro. I feel terrible bad myself to spend money for dell or any other option :( but my laptop is broken and I need new one as soon as possible