Just get new 5S on 7.0.4 - should I upgrade to 8.1.2?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by edenbensal, Dec 21, 2014.

1. edenbensal macrumors regular

To your opinion what should i do? Stay on 7.0.4 or upgrade to 8.1.2? Or maybe wait to more stable version of iOS 8.
    Thank...

2. chrfr, Dec 21, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2014

chrfr macrumors 603

7.0.4 wasn't especially fast or stable. I'd definitely upgrade.
    Edit: as mentioned in the thread, you're missing significant security updates in 7.0.4.

3. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

I would think about it first and get additional opinions. Once you upgrade that's it, no turning back.

Perhaps use 7.0.4 for a few days and then decide.

4. Jantelagen macrumors regular

Jantelagen

I think you'll be better off with 8.1.2, since 7.0(.4) wasn't really fast. If you had it on 7.1.2, then I would stay on that.

5. Paddle1 macrumors 68030

7.0.4 isn't good, it's worse than iOS 8 with it's slow animations and instability. It also doesn't have the security fix from 7.0.6. You should update as soon as you can. Plus the 5s isn't really slowed down by 8 while the animations make 7.0.4 slower anyway.

6. thegrants82 macrumors 65816

Would be silly if you didn't upgrade.

7. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Shame it isn't on 7.1.2 :-(
    Battery life will take a hit if you install iOS8, but you will get the security fix. I would be inclined to try it for a while and see how things go but if I recall correctly, 7.0.4 was a bit of a dog.

8. edenbensal thread starter macrumors regular

Just get new 5S on 7.0.4 - should I upgrade to 8.1.2?

The battery life is so bad? I'm not addicted to my iPhone I just use it when I need it.
    BTW thanks guys for your help

9. Bahroo macrumors 68000

No the battery life is just fine on iOS 8.1.2, runs great, is tons more secure then 7.0.4, faster, and just alot more powerful , no reason at all not to upgrade .

Follow battery tips if you havent already yet to make your iphone last even longer

10. Woochifer macrumors 6502a

Yeah, if it's on 7.0.4, I think it's a no brainer to upgrade to 8.1.2. 7.0.4 was really the first version of iOS 7 that didn't crash and/or randomly reboot on a regular basis. But, it still had issues with lagging and crashing with several of my apps. 8.1.2 is already well past the speed and stability of 7.0.4, and the beta builds of 8.2 purportedly run even better.

11. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

I upgraded my son's iPhone 5 from iOS 7.1.2 to iOS 8.1.2 and it's completely fine. More features in iOS 8.1.2 and it interacts with his MacBook Air.

iOS 7.0.4 wasn't even the finished version.

12. E2EK1EL macrumors 6502

Tough one ...

Try this for a little bit - You can jailbreak the IP5s and use "no slow animation" to get the animation speeds running like 7.1.2 and then patch up that SSL Bug with Ryan Petrich's patch.

If you're ok with that, you're set to stay on iOS 7 forever.

13. FatPuppy macrumors 68000

FatPuppy

I don't want to start a fight here but with ios 8.1.2 all devices tend to become hot in simple tasks, so they say. And yes, it happens to my iphone too, it gets too hot.

14. edenbensal thread starter macrumors regular

I prefer not to JB my iPhone.
    I think I would wait to iOS 8.1.3 to see if there is any fix/improvement for those bugs mentions here.
    At the end I want to upgrade to iOS 8 to enjoy the new features.

15. sanke1 macrumors 65816

sanke1

As everyone said if it would have been on 7.1.2 then you could have kept on it till 8.2 hits the update server. But now you MUST update to 8.1.2 as most, if not all annoying bugs have been fixed.

16. newellj macrumors 601

Totally agree. I recently got an rMini with 7.0.4 and upgraded to 8.1. 7.0.x was not particularly good. BTW, my 5S ran great on 8.0.

17. chrfr macrumors 603

There's no need to wait. Keep in mind that the vast majority of users are using these devices without complaint. People seldom come to forums to report that everything is working fine. The security issues alone make updating urgent.

----------

This isn't something I see with an iPhone 4S, 5S, iPad 2, iPad 4, or iPad mini 3.

18. newellj macrumors 601

Complete nonsense. We have four iPads and six iPhones here and none of them gets hot.

19. FatPuppy macrumors 68000

FatPuppy

As I said, I don't want to start a fight but I've read on some posts, forums that devices tend to get hot sometimes in simple tasks and to be honest, it happens on my 5s too from time to time.

20. H3boy macrumors regular

H3boy

My opinion would be to wait until 8.2 is released and see what people say about it.

21. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

Do not speak for me. I have 4 devices running iOS 8.1.2 and each one is as cool as a cucumber.

This is my experience as well.

22. newellj macrumors 601

There's nothing to fight about.

You said, and this is a quote, "all devices tend to get hot in simple tasks." That's just plain, flat-out wrong.

You then came back and said "I've read on some posts, forums that devices tend to get hot sometimes in simple tasks and to be honest, it happens on my 5s too from time to time."

So it's mostly pure bullspit based on things you read that may or may not be wrong and may or may not be out of context, except that "from time to time" your 5S gets warm.

There is a Grand Canyon of difference between "all devices" and "from time to time."

The only time I ever had an iPhone get warm was on a single occasion using my 5, which was running iOS 6.something, when scanning a large photograph and the phone was working overtime to digitize the image. Nothing to do with iOS 8.x and everything to do with one app that was pummeling the system.

23. Woochifer macrumors 6502a

Just because you're reading some complaint on a forum doesn't mean that it occurs across all iOS devices. The only noticeable heat buildup on my 5s occurred while playing a very processor intensive game. Does heat occur? Yes. Does it occur often? No.

Problem with this kind of "something I read on the internet" discussion is that posters tend to extrapolate things that happen under specific circumstances into stuff that happens to everyone all the time.

That same game on my 5s will also drain my battery down in about two hours. My typical battery life is about 5-7 hours, and I have seen up to 10 hours of usage of battery life before. But, because I have experienced 2 hour battery life on my 5s, someone out there can take that as some kind of proof that iOS 8.1.2 or the 5s only has two hours of battery life under all circumstances for everybody.

----------

Why should someone stay on 7.0.4 when 8.1.2 is a faster, more secure, and more stable OS? We're not talking about 7.1.2, which fixed most of the glitches that still existed on 7.0.4.

24. lrsone macrumors 6502

Why not download the 7.1.2 ipsw file and force update it if you don't want iOS 8.1.2?

25. edenbensal thread starter macrumors regular

To my knowledge this is impossible because apple don't sign this version or something like that.