Just give me a data plan.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Nebster, Sep 23, 2012.

1. Nebster macrumors newbie

Hey folks,

All I want to know is, can I take an iPad VZ LTE SIM, cut it to size, and stick it in an (unlocked) iPhone 5 and get LTE data-only?

I've read lots of threads talking about doing this with older devices, or going in the other direction. I've read about people describing no voice (fine; I never make regular phone calls). I've read about people getting 3G-only with third-party SIMs (standard; I travel overseas and have a whole library of SIMs from various providers).

Anybody try it?

2. 617aircav Suspended

Nope

3. andross77 macrumors regular

How about stop trying to do something illegal and pay for the service you want?

Nooooooo, that would be way too straightforward and honest.....

4. Nebster thread starter macrumors newbie

It's definitely not illegal; VZ has committed to SIM interchangeability across all devices in their LTE spectrum.

The question is whether it's technically possible.

And what makes your comment silly is that, in fact, I only want data. I don't want to pay for a service I don't want. Duh.

5. dagamer34 macrumors 65816

dagamer34

I've taken my VZW iPad SIM and stuck it in a Galaxy Nexus and a LTE hotspot and they've never done anything about it. I've also taken my LTE hotspot SIM and stuck it in a phone without any problems. Their system clearly shows I'm using a phone with a data-only plan but they have never acted on it (unlike AT&T which will require "proper" plans for phones to get data access). Don't expect the ability to officially tether however.

6. andross77 macrumors regular

it's illegal because Verizon has made it clear that if you want an iphone you HAVE to have a voice/text plan along with the data. If you walked in to ANY corporate store or talked to ANYONE in charge of the company and said, "Can i buy an iphone 5 and just use your data network and not pay for minutes/text?" they would LAUGH and say NO.

that means it's illegal when you want to do it on VZW's network....

7. aztooh macrumors 6502a

So I suppose you've never downloaded (pirated) a movie or any music; never burned a CD for a friend; never exceeded the speed limit; never rolled a stop sign....

Get the hell of your high horse. Half the things that carriers do should be legitimately illegal, if he wants data only on the device that he owns, he should be able to do that.

8. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Move to europe. They have data and text only plans.
    Complain to the FCC. They might listen, but they probably won't since most of them used to work for these companies or plan to work for them.

The closest you can come here is if you go pre-paid. Companies like h2o have data only for about $0.32/megabyte.

9. dcorban macrumors 6502a

dcorban

First of all, a company's policy does not equal law. Verizon's policy may be that anyone buying an iPhone from them will require a voice plan, but it is most certainly not legislated anywhere.

Secondly, their voice plan policy only applies to phones purchased from Verizon.

10. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

Yes it will work and it's not illegal don't let all the geeks that are still living in there parents basement scare you

11. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

How is this illegal?

If you're paying for a data plan, and only using data, how is doing it on an iPhone any different than doing it on an iPad? Heck, an iphone will probably use LESS data than an iPad overall, just due to the form factors of the devices.

Some of ya'll really need to get off your high horses.

12. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

My question is why? If I had an iPad LTE I would rather use that as a data only device. Frankly, surfing the internet on my phone is only a mediocre experience and spending $650 for an off contract phone for that seems silly. I suppose size is probably your reason, in that case I would wait for the iPad Mini and see if they have LTE versions (I assume they will). Then you only have to spend maybe $400 to have a base + LTE (if the pricing is in line with what is expected) and a much better experience than an iPhone.

13. andross77 macrumors regular

Just because I've done something illegal before does not mean I shouldn't call someone out for doing something ILLEGAL now. That makes no sense. If it's illegal, it's illegal. 2 wrongs, don't make a right. If no one could call out anyone else if they had ever done something illegal or ever sinned, then NO ONE COULD EVER TELL ANOTHER PERSON THEY WERE DOING SOMETHING WRONG!!!

This is where the world is headed now but do you see what the final outcome would look like? Total chaos and destruction as no one would follow any rules.

You are a fool if you think other people having done illegal stuff makes it OK for you to do illegal stuff. I'd like to see that stand up in a courtroom or with the police or any company that sues you for stealing from them......good luck.

----------

it's illegal because it is Verizon's network and Verizon has said that if you want to use an iphone on THEIR data network you HAVE TO have a voice/minute plan.

If you dont' believe me, CALL THEM. It is illegal because it's THEIR network, not yours, not the random publics, it's Verizon's.

14. Eallan macrumors 6502

Let me tell you what I do/did.

I have 2 lines on verizon with unlmited data, one actually has an unlimited hotspot plan. I put the unlimited hotspot line in my iPad and it works like a charm. No phone calls, no plan changes, nothing.

15. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

It's clearly not illegal to do this and if you think that it is you ate paint chips when you were a child ;)

16. IndianGuy macrumors regular

IndianGuy

Illegal? that word is used so carelessly in this thread.

More like against-the-company-policy!

(not a lawyer).

17. andross77 macrumors regular

ok well if it's not illegal, it's stealing. VZW owns their network. They tell people HOW they can use it. The OP wants to use it in HIS OWN SPECIAL WAY that VZW has NOT authorized.

So if it's not illegal, it's still wrong....

18. darngooddesign macrumors G3

The OP is not trying to do anything illegal, he's not trying to get data for free. He just wants a data only iPhone 5, which is paying for the service he wants.

19. Luxo macrumors newbie

I don't think you know what "illegal" means.

20. soco macrumors 68030

soco

I do work in law, and this thread and those like it are hilarious. Everyone under the age of 30 these days seem to be itchy-trigger-finger ready to throw around the word 'illegal'.

This, even if it is against company policy or contract, is just that. No one is going to jail or having tickets/summons written against them for SIM swapping lol
    :rolleyes:

21. andross77 macrumors regular

yeah i realize that. look at my post above. lol everyone wants to argue semantics. I guess what he wants to do is not illegal but it is against VZW policy and since he is using THEIR network and not his own or a public and free one, he is doing something wrong.

----------

and again, not illegal, but still wrong. Now what's your argument....? And if you say or OP says, "Who cares if he does something wrong?" then I have nothing more to say. I can't change people that want to steal a service from a company that they don't offer (specifically data only plan on an iphone on Verizon's data network). I pointed out that it's wrong and he shouldn't do it.

And then you all come to defend that because he CAN, he SHOULD. Terrible logic.....

22. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

bottom line Verizon allows Sim swapping between 4G devices so this is not even against the Verizon TOS so how is it even illegal ?

23. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Well if something wrong = illegal. Then you illegally said he was doing something illegal.

24. andross77 macrumors regular

again, already stated that it's not illegal. I was using the term originally to mean "it's wrong and you shouldn't do it" but since people wanted to argue, i admit that someone doing that will not be going to jail and the police aren't going to come after you.

so no, wrong does not equal illegal.

But it's still wrong.

25. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I don't think this is wrong because he's still trying to pay them for the service he wants to use. I feel its in the vein of people buying unlimited data SIMs when they didn't originally have unlimited data on their plans, or installing tethering apps on their phones so they can use all the data they pay for even though the carrier might require a more expensive tethering plan.

Regardless, I think VZW can detect the device you have and stop you from doing it.