Just got a 15" Core i7 Hi-res AG display MBP for 1650

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by aaronpaws, Sep 13, 2010.

1. aaronpaws macrumors newbie

Craigslist ftw.
    Registered it with apple and its now under my name. 277 days left on applecare, plus I have the option to renew.

I feel like the luckiest man alive.
    This thing is awesome.
    Now, my only complaint is the HD seek times, anyone got any recommendations on good sandforce SSDs?
    Also; What games should I play to really push this thing?
    Any apps that are recommended by all mac users in general.

I'm a computer science student, freshman at UCF and I couldn't be happier.
    Upgraded from a late 2008 unibody macbook and the display on this is just killer. I don't really notice the processor and graphics card as much yet, but I'm sure I will.

SO! ssd's, games, and apps.
    WHATS GOOD?

2. mcvaughan macrumors 6502a

Congrats! That is an awesome price. I just ordered a 15" i7 2.66/8GB/AG with SSD. Not cheap by any means but should SCREAM!

3. Ice Dragon macrumors 6502a

Ice Dragon

Congrats on a hell of a deal.

OCZ or OWC are two good options. I just saw an OCZ drive on NewEgg, 90 GB of storage for $199.99 ($169.99) after rebate (until 09/30/10). OWC has a drive for $314.99 for 120 GB.

4. redbotsoftware macrumors regular

Congrats, great deal! I'd recommend the OWC SSD. I got one for my Macbook pro about 6 weeks back, and it works great, I'm very happy with it.

5. cookieronster macrumors member

sounds like a good deal, so long as there's no water damage or anything. did it come with the original box? if not it could be refurbished. no big deal, but it's possible. congrats on your "new to you" computer.

6. aaronpaws thread starter macrumors newbie

Damn, that OCZ drive is sick, but there's a 120gb model for 10 bucks more. The backlit keyboard on these things is so crazy, so is the battery life. I'm blown away.

7. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

Nice!

And I thought I had a great find when I got my top of the line rev c mba for $1k. I'd say the core i7 is a better win than mine! haha. I got my own core i5 HR AG for $1800 with apple care.

With box and everything? I wonder what the issue was with it for the seller to let it go so cheap.

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Nice price. Congrats!

My local Craiglist is dominated by college students who are trying to sell their 4 year old PCs and Macs for full retail pricing and then wondering why they can't sell them. If you offer them the proper price they think you're lowballing and get insulted. Then if I offer to sell something for a proper price they want to pay nothing.

9. Fuchal macrumors 68020

I've had two OCZ Vertex 120GB drives fail on me in 4 months in my MacBook Pro. Take from that what you will :)

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

2 years ago I bought 2 SSDs as well. First pair failed in 6 hours (right after I installed what I needed and was ready to use it). Second pair failed in about a week. I was using it one day and all of sudden it said like 16MB disk space free.

You'd think I'd have been pretty discouraged by the second time around (and 4 failed SSDs) especially when NewEgg was offering me a full refund?

Well I went and picked up 2 more of the same drives thinking I just had bad luck. Well I've been using one of those SSDs in a server 24/7 for the past 2 years and not even a hiccup. The other one resides in my tablet computer; it's been erased and moved around a lot between a couple computers and it's working like it's new.

11. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

some good games to push your computer would be crysis warhead on the PC side of things. Also, dragon age origins.

12. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

13. deeesea macrumors 6502

that OCZ is a sick price. I paid 189 + 20 dollar rebate for a 50 gigger. Definitely wish I could've gotten the 90 gigger. dang.

14. Ice Dragon macrumors 6502a

Ice Dragon

Both solid state and conventional hard drives can fail at any time.

15. aaronpaws thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah, SSD and 8 gigs of ram are the first things I'm going to throw in this baby. Black Friday here i come ;D
    Crysis Warhead just based off of some youtube videos looks awesome. I'm gonna try and do a bootcamp partition later today just for that.
    I didn't get the original box with it, (I got the box of his other macbook pro, the idiot switched the boxes by accident, and it didnt come with cd's, just the notebook and charger really) but I don't care at this price.
    I registered it with apple under my name so everything should be good. The thing is in mint condition, and it flies. Anyone know the difference between the vertex series and the agility series ssd's?

16. iperson21 macrumors regular

17. ljx718 macrumors 6502

18. Rithem macrumors 6502

Rithem

That's a bomb deal.

BF2BC seems to push this pretty decently. Mix of High/low settings makes it run really well.