just got a 20 inch bog standard aluminum i mac, can i play any games on it? like.....

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by wishmaster, Feb 4, 2009.

1. wishmaster macrumors newbie

would i be able to play final fantasy 8 on it for example?

Also, i'm using time machine with an external hdd i have, is it useful? and can i store things on the external drive as well as using it for time machine.

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks

2. Gleadr macrumors member

Gleadr

if Final Fantasy is made for mac you can run it. Doesnt your imac have ATI graphics? if its a windows game get a copy of xp or vista and install it on ur mac using boot camp and run the game in windows...

3. wishmaster thread starter macrumors newbie

ATI Radeon HD 2400 PRO Graphics Card....It has that, but i'm not quite sure what that means in terms of what games i can play, I have only one gb of ram too. Is there somewhere i can find out what games its capable of? Im not expecting it to play new games or anything. I have no clue what to expect to be honest. I'm v v new to all this. lol.

4. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Well you can play most any game. However, on newer games you will have to really turn down the quality settings and lower the resolution.

5. dvdhsu macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

Yeah.
    Basically just try them.
    You could look at the minumum requirements for the game, and if you're above that, you can run it.
    If you're way above it, you can run it nicely. :D

6. wishmaster thread starter macrumors newbie

7. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

Yeah, you'll be able to play a lot of games. If you're a hardcore gamer (the very fact you've asked this question suggest that you're not) then Mac isn't the platform for you. However, if you're just casual then it should be no problem at all, especially for games like FF.

8. Sambo110 macrumors 68000

I think my mum has the same mac (One of the new iMacs, the worst you can get) and it can run ANY game. I play Crysis on it. So you will be fine.

9. KettyKrueger macrumors 6502

KettyKrueger

"Bog standard"
    "Worst you can get"

All great ways to describe the entry level iMac :)

I have the entry-level iMac (Aluminium, 2.0Ghz) and it is anything but "bog standard"!!