Just Got a 2016 Retina MBP & SO superior to my RMB

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Nychot, Jul 1, 2016.

1. Nychot macrumors 6502a

This 13"/8/256 2015 Retina MBP is one amazing machine. So light, so thin, SO fast. I can see myself putting my rMB in a drawer. Just no comparison. I've had my RMB about a year and the longer I had it the screen seemed to get smaller and smaller. I didn't like the Force Touch TP on my RMB, but the same trackpad on the new MBP seems far better, and of course I make no mistakes on the keyboard as opposed to the RMB, even though I was fast on it, it's still a biatch, I think. Anyway, if you're tired of your rmb for any reason, try the MBP, quite a machine.

2. Dennison macrumors regular

Dennison

There is no MacBook Pro for 2016. At least not yet. You purchased a 2015 MacBook Pro.

3. ShionoyaTamaki macrumors 6502

Reverse case for me. I had the rMBP 13"/8/256, at 4.2lbs with power adapter it was heavy lugging around while traveling. Sold it and got a rMB, at 2.3lbs with power adapter, so much lighter, the weight difference was very noticeable. Nice to forget you are holding one. Plus I carry even less weight since my phone can share the same usb-c adapter.

4. ApplLvr macrumors member

I also bought the last rMBP, replacing a 13'' MBA, which I loved. I haven't been happy at all, except with the retina display--much thicker than MBA and noticeably heavier. I did not think the extra thickness and weight would matter. I was wrong.

I haven't sold it yet but I just received my new rMB (albeit, loaded and expensive). Just what I needed. Beautiful display, very portable machine. Fits in my little day backpack. I anticipate putting my rMBP on eBay in a week or two.

I actually love the butterfly keyboard. I do "miss" from time to time (don't depress the key all the way) but that will go away as I get more accustomed to it.

5. rrm998 macrumors regular

rrm998

I was helping my friend with an issue on his 13" rMBP yesterday and I was surprised how large and heavy that laptop feels to me now. I remember how light the 13" felt when it as last redesigned in 2012. I know the actual weight difference is half a pound but it was immediately obvious.

I kept trying to click his trackpad at the top and of course that doesn't work on the older rMPBs.

My friend is taking a trip and is going to use his wife's MB instead of the rMBP. I'll be interested in what he thinks when he gets back.

6. deeddawg macrumors 604

Does it fit in the tablet pocket of your camera backpack or work bag? :D

Seriously, congrats on finding a machine that better suits your needs.

7. t.portis macrumors member

t.portis

I have both the 2015 rMBP (employer provided) and the 2015 rMB (personal). The rMBP stays on the desk, usually connected to a large screen. The rMB goes everywhere with me including meetings, classrooms and even teaching at church. At night I connect it to a large screen for charging and to finish up any work from the day. If I had to give one up, definitely the rMBP would go.

8. Nychot, Jul 2, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2016

Nychot thread starter macrumors 6502a

eew. you caught me. I meant 2015 bought in 2016
    --- Post Merged, Jul 2, 2016 ---
    Well, I don't have to schlep a computer in a bag so no problem. Actually, it is quite light to handle at the 3 lbs and a few ounces, but the screen size, the keyboard and the trackpad is far superior to my rmb. I have a feeling that the NEW one coming will be lighter, the way apple is going.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 2, 2016 ---
    I used to feel that way about my rmb, which I still have and will keep. But the screen was negatively affecting my eyes, so the rumba is far better.

9. ShionoyaTamaki macrumors 6502

rMBP 2015 is 3.48lb (4.2lb with charger), the 2016 refresh coming likely in a few months will probably be shaved down to 3lb like a MBA, then the air line will evaporate. Doubt they could push it any further without shortening battery.

10. KPOM macrumors G5

They could if they switch to the 15W processors. But my guess is that they will use the 28W processors for the Iris 550 GPU.