Just got a new head unit in car...background hiss/fuzz

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aliensarecool, Mar 10, 2012.

1. aliensarecool macrumors 6502a

aliensarecool

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

Kind of annoying. Both thru aux using headphone jack and USB iphone plug. Is one better to use than the other?

Any advice/suggestions? It was a 500 dollar in dash

2. RolandNights macrumors 6502a

Not sure if this is very helpful, but it might just need to settle in. When I got my Civic and plugged in my iPod Touch via USB, it had this hissing sound periodically. When my brother got a new in-dash, it did the same thing when he had it plugged in via USB, but NOT when it was connected via bluetooth. Over time and after continual use, both systems stopped hissing.

How loud is the hissing? Is it noticeable on low volume settings?

3. WhoAmI2 macrumors member

Why not take it back to the people that installed it and have them fix the issue?

4. gforce216 macrumors 6502a

I've had that sound for years. It happens through the 30 pin connector for me. I think the reason has been seen through the device charging at the same time music is playing. The amount of power electricty being generated as the car accelerates causes it to jump over to the speakers in the car and cause the hissing noise. It's not that loud on mine so when music is actually playing I cannot hear it, and once I'm not listening to music I just turn my speakers down a bit. Other than that information I can't offer a way to fix it. Seems to just be a thing that you'll find in cars with after market head units installed.

5. aliensarecool thread starter macrumors 6502a

aliensarecool

so should i run the AUX 3.5mm headphone jack?

also where do you keep your volume on your iphone? all the way up then control the volume from the HU?

6. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

1. You should post what kind of head unit it is. (Simply saying that it is $500 and in dash means absolutely nothing)

2. Does your iphone produce a hiss on any other amplifiers or equipment with an auxilliary or iphone input?

3. Do other devices (other phones, dvd players, radios, etc) produce the same hiss when plugged in?

It could be any of a number of different things.... some kind of electrical ground loop.... a cheap/crappy input chip on the head unit .... the cable picking up EMFs... your iphone itself,etc.

Also, email the manufacturer of the head unit to see if they have any suggestions on getting clean sound via an external source.

Using bluetooth for audio sucks. Horrible quality, in my experience.

7. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

Make sure the volume on your iPhone is maxed. I found that if my iPhone was not on full but instead turn the head unit up it would create a lot of hiss.

Not so much the other way round.

8. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Avoid using the headphone amp (headphone jack). It is noisy.