Just got a preowned rMBP; where can I get a cheap copy of Office?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by marc55, Mar 22, 2015.

1. marc55 macrumors 6502a

marc55

I finally picked up a nice preowned early 2013 rMBP, and I'm really liking this thing already; small learning curve coming from windows!

I need either Word and Excel, or Pages and Numbers.

Pages & Numbers will cost me $40, but does anyone know where can I get a cheap copy of Office for Mac?

Thank you

2. z31fanatic macrumors 6502a

z31fanatic

If you have a valid .edu email, Microsoft is giving Office to teachers and students for free.

3. newellj macrumors 601

Some employers participate in Microsoft's Home Use Program, which IIRC is $10 for the whole Office suite.

4. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

What about OpenOffice or LibreOffice?

Both are free, and will do 99% of what office does.

Either that or see if your employer does the Microsoft Home Use Program (ask your IT department). Even if they use Windows at work, MS will let you get the Mac version for a nominal cost.

5. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Currently Microsoft has a preview version of the new Office for Mac which is free. You'll eventually need to upgrade once the final version is released later this year, but that should allow you to use the Office suite while you try to find a discounted version. I'm using it currently and for a preview build it's working pretty well. You can find out more about it here.

6. marc55 thread starter macrumors 6502a

marc55

Thank You! I had forgotten all about this

7. JuryDuty macrumors 6502

JuryDuty

Yes, I'd grab the preview for free for the next 6 months or so, then grab a license for Office365 for ~$70 on Amazon.

You'll get 5 copies of Office with that, plus the ability to sync with your iPad/iPhone, plus unlimited storage on OneDrive. Heckuva deal.

8. decx macrumors newbie

With Office 365 while you do have the ability to use it on 5 devices, keep in mind that it isn't a regular Office licence. But rather it's a one year subscription to use the Office apps as well as the web features. To continue using the full features of Office you need to buy new subscription every year.

As for the OP, I would suggest trying out Libreoffice first before jumping in to buy MS Office.

9. JuryDuty macrumors 6502

JuryDuty

That's true, but depending on your needs, it's totally worth it.

Office365 eliminated my need for subscribing to Dropbox and Sugarsync. That alone paid for it. Plus, I needed multiple copies of Office, and since this goes on up to 5 computers, it is cheaper in the long run since I upgrade Office regularly.

10. RUGGLES99 macrumors 6502

Not that I'd do it, but craigslist in new york has many sellers of office 2011 for as little as ten dollars. Probably copies but with valid serial numbers.