Just got a rMBP, how to check SSD brand? Should I have waited for Haswell?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dtziheucdavis, May 26, 2013.

1. dtziheucdavis macrumors newbie

Just picked up a new rMBP with the upgraded processor, 512gb, 16gb RAM. I checked and found that I have the Samsung display, is there a way to check what SSD I have? And is there one brand that is better than another.

Also, I don't care much about performance, but would Haswell really bring a noticeable battery life improvement? The battery life I'm getting so far is only about 2.5-3 hours because I like the screen bright and run many apps all at once.

Thanks.

2. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

So if the SSD is not the best one then are you going back for a refund and hoping to get the best SSD and Samsung screen?

No one knows anything until it's release. Anything people says is just speculation.

3. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

Why can't folks just be happy with their purchases?

OP use your computer and enjoy it in a few years when it's due for replacement worry over what is the bestest ever then. Haswell will be more efficient whether that will lead to more battery life is anyones guess.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

This thread will help you ID the brand of your SSD.

The only factor with brand is if the drive is Sandforce controller based it will have somewhat slower write speeds with incompressible data.

Haswell will likely have an incremental speed and battery life bump, but I don't see anybody predicting it will be life changing.

5. dtziheucdavis thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm just curious. It's a little rude of you to insinuate that I'm a dishonest person simply because I asked.

----------

I'm actually curious as to how much the processor affects net battery life anyway. It seems like the screen and hard drive use a lot too, although I suppose SSD helps.

----------

Thanks for the info!

6. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

Then return it and wait. You are assuming though that Apple will not add a "feature" that will negate the few watts gained by the processor.

7. Bear macrumors G3

Or reduce the battery size to save more weight.

8. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

I doubt they will shrink the battery. The cooling system was designed for a certain height. They won't redesign so quickly. I also don't think it likely that they deploy some wedge like redesign like the Air. They won't just remove battery to have empty space left.

According to Intel Haswell ought to save quite a bit on battery life.
    http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Haswe...e/2070568/#?a_id=1070931&g_id=-1&i_id=2070573
    Their claims probably are more valid on smaller notebooks with less power wasted on the display and SoC but still this sounds like quite a bit of improvement. Especially in semi active scenarios the power consumption of the chips is relatively much higher compared to the display.
    Seems likely that the next rMBP will promise 10h on the marketing sheet.

9. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

If you can wait I would return it for the following reasons:

-I think the MBPr will seems to minor design changes to cooling and from information they have learned from the past year. Nothing major though.

-Haswell is going to be faster and much better with battery. Amazingly? Probably not, but if you just bought this wouldn't you just want the latest CPU/GPU?

-Better dedicated GPU. Whatever they pick it will be faster than what we have now.

-802.11ac Latest Wifi

-Some other surprises that we don't know about yet...it's possible.

Since WWDC is around 15 days from now, why not wait and see?

This is not to say what you have now is not great. It is a great workstation that will last you a long time. If you need it now it will make you very happy.

If you can wait for 15 days to see what is coming out, I would.

-P

10. racer1441 macrumors 68000

Keep it.

Haswell will be a bump, but not all that noticeable on the pro. If we were talking an 11 inch MacBook Air, then yes, but Pro, no

People keep talking about 802.11ac wifi. I have worked with AC. It need at east a year or two of work to be anything worth worrying about.

11. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

No offense to you but we have seen too many threads people returning their MBPr just because it has LG screen rather than Samsung.;)

12. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

I think the point is that if he waits and gets a new MBPr he will have the ability to use 802.11ac as it improves and becomes a standard. If he stays with what he has he cannot use it at all.

-P

13. racer1441 macrumors 68000

Not worth it.

14. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

should have waited until haswell. you paid full price for last year's technology, instead of waiting to buy something much better for the same price in a few months.

15. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

what is "much"?

16. twingo macrumors regular

I hate these "first shoot, then think" threads.
    You bought a good machine, now live with it.

17. Brian Y macrumors 68040

You know something we don't then?

18. dtziheucdavis thread starter macrumors newbie

A lot of good info and opinions - thank you. I'm going to keep it simply because I am too lazy to repack everything. I'm also really happy with it so far, no quality problems. A long time ago I bought the first widescreen Thinkpad right when it came out - tons of problems and such a hassle. I also got one of the first redesigned x200 Thinkpad tablet PCs - also tons of problems and a huge hassle.

19. Fontane macrumors regular

OP, good on you for making a decision. I don't want to confuse you, but recommend you strongly consider returning the machine and wait to see what, if any, updates Apple releases for the rMBP in two weeks. You're paying a lot of money for this equipment -- why not get the latest/greatest? Think of how you might feel when Apple holds the WWDC in two weeks and everyone is here on the forums excited about the new releases. With every refresh comes a more solid product with fewer bugs.

Regardless of what you decide, good luck and don't listen to people who tell you "you bought a good machine, now live with it" or to just be happy with the product you buy. It's easy for those people to make those comments because it's not their money. You're spending money that you (presumably) worked hard to earn. Make sure you get every penny's worth in your purchase. Your goal is to get the best product you can for your money; not to make Apple rich or simply "be content" with your purchase.
    Good luck!

20. gbkrip macrumors member

This is really silly to me. You just bought a device due to refresh in as little as two weeks or a couple months at most. Why would you not wait for the new device? You get iteratively upgraded hardware for the same dollar amount with a little added patience.