Just got a Unibody Macbook Pro - a couple of questions.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jbrown, Aug 1, 2010.

1. jbrown macrumors 6502a

jbrown

Just bought a second hand Macbook Pro 2.66 ( 2009 ) here in UK. Very nice machine I must say:D:D

My questions are:

Is there anyone that sells anti-glare screen covers to reduce reflections?

And if I want to find a cable to run an external monitor....what specs am I looking for? ( would like to avoid buying from Apple as they charge so much ).

cheers
    :):)

2. DannySmurf macrumors 6502a

To connect to an external monitor, what you need depends on your monitor. For a 2009 MBP, you'll need a miniDVI-to-something connector (VGA or DVI most likely). The Apple adapters are not too expensive (usually around $40), but you can knock 25% off of that if you get one through a third party (there are a few).

3. ramzhh macrumors regular

In general opinion, AG films/covers are not that good, but if you want one, MRoogle it and check out the opinions, there are many you can choose from.
    As for the cable, it depends on the input port your external monitor has. Either way, you can generally google whatever cable you need (remember that the video output on your machine is Mini-displayport, I think) , for example: Mini-displayport to DVI adapter, and you'll find many, many products.

4. Aboo macrumors 6502a

Sorry but this is incorrect. You will need a mini display port to vga or dvi adapter. They cost 29 USD at the apple store, but I don't know the GBP equivalent. Third party adapters cost in the 15-20 USD range.

5. Kayan macrumors 6502

If OP has a Unibody MBP, then there's no "mini-DVI" on it, it's called "mini-Displyport". Also if you're going to get a cable, this is just my experience with 3rd party cables, they are not reliable, and nothing is more frustrating than standing in front of the class trying to get a cable to work with a projector/monitor, in my opinion, fork out the extra 5-10$ and save yourself extra concerns that can come from having non-official cables...besides, the Apple cables look much nicer. If I wanted to own crappy things, I'd get a plastic PC with lots of stickers plastered on the case.

6. DannySmurf macrumors 6502a

Right, mini Displayport. My bad.

I've not had any trouble with third party cables. Bought a miniDP-VGA one for my wife for her new mini a while ago, and it works just fine. Probably depends on the vendor. Lots of Apple add-on vendors make crap, yes, but if you get something from a reputable one, I don't see that being a huge problem...

7. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

Maybe you should return it and buy the antiglare display macbook pro. Since this is a 2009, the price difference should be about $50 U.S. and the resolution will be the same. You should consider this as the 14 day return policy runs out quickly.

8. Aboo macrumors 6502a

Op bought the unit second hand. No return policy I'm willing to bet...

9. revelated macrumors 6502a

revelated

http://greenonionssupply.com/

Nice screens that don't impact visibility and go nearly all the way to the bezel. Glare and reflection reduction is about 40%. Not perfect, but good quality.

http://www.radtech.us/products/ClearCal.aspx

Full-on antiglare. They don't go all the way to the bezel and they have particle effects due to the screen. If you're picky about the clarity don't go with this one, but its reflection reduction is about 80%.

10. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

Not an apple refurbished?
    Maybe I missed that.