Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikeatwork

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
Hi. I bought an original macbook that was made in oct 2009. Where is the audio input? I bought this to make music. Why is there no audio input? Do I have to spend even more money now on a sound card? Why would the people at Apple not have such obviously necessary feature?

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
If Im not mistaken the Audio Out is also a Line in....

Audio out port - Connect external speakers, headphones (including iPhone), or digital audio equipment to use a line-level microphone or analog equipment. Specify the audio line in functionality using Sound system preferences.

mikeatwork

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
But how do I record music and listen to it at the same time? I gain an input and lose an output.

mikeatwork

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
Can anyone recommend a USB headset adaptor that is not too expensive? I thought I wouldn't need to buy extra stuff...considering it's a mac and they are supposed to be so great.

----------

Why did you buy it when it's not suited for your needs?

I did research and everyone says macbooks are good for recording music. this is a surprise to me. I assumed it would have an audio output, kind of like if you buy a house you would assume there is a bathroom.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Sounds like you DIDN'T do your research. One look at MacTracker or similar would've shown the unibody MacBooks got rid of the separate audio input and the FireWire port as Apple refocused their line around the MacBook Pro.

Nobody buys a house without inspecting it, nor should one buy a laptop without so much a cursory glance over the spec sheet, especially if they require certain features.

Rampant.A.I.

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2009
I'm with you on that one. I'm surprised it doesn't have separate audio in/out ports, and probably wouldn't have thought to check.

However, depending what you're recording from an adaptor to USB might be better anyway, since the headphone jack is a line-level and you won't get very good results unless your source is already amplified.

I'd use this:

http://store.griffintechnology.com/imic

mikeatwork

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
Sounds like you DIDN'T do your research. One look at MacTracker or similar would've shown the unibody MacBooks got rid of the separate audio input and the FireWire port as Apple refocused their line around the MacBook Pro.

Nobody buys a house without inspecting it, nor should one buy a laptop without so much a cursory glance over the spec sheet, especially if they require certain features.

Ok. you're right. I just took the audio output for granted. I'm just so used to computers having them.

Can anybody recommend where I can buy this USB adaptor?

----------

I'm with you on that one. I'm surprised it doesn't have separate audio in/out ports, and probably wouldn't have thought to check.

However, depending what you're recording from an adaptor to USB might be better anyway, since the headphone jack is a line-level and you won't get very good results unless your source is already amplified.

I'd use this:

http://store.griffintechnology.com/imic

Thanks. I'll check it out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.