Just got an iPad 2 on 4.3.3 today! Can I get multi-touch gestures for free?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by vader1990, Jun 13, 2011.

1. vader1990 macrumors regular

Hi all,

Just got my iPad 2 and it came with the iOS 4.3.3. I want to enable the multi-touch gestures (pinch to home, etc), and I know there were guides floating around which said an old version of XCode did the trick for free? Can someone give me a step-by-step or link me to a step-by-step guide of how to do this for free?

I want to do this WITHOUT jailbreaking...

Thanks a lot! :D
    -V

2. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

Installed iOS 4.3 Beta 1 on your iPad, but can’t find the multi-touch gestures option everyone on the Internet is talking about? It’s not an “error” in your device, you just need to take an extra step to activate the feature.

Being iOS 4.3 a “beta for developers”, this very specific feature needs to be enabled via Xcode, the development tool Apple provides with its SDK. Once iOS 4.3 is installed on your iPad, download Xcode from Apple and install it on your Mac. Open Xcode, and click on the iPad icon in the sidebar. In this new window, click on “Use for Development”, log in with your Apple developer credentials and wait for Xcode to verify the device with Apple’s servers.

Once the procedure is done and the icon next to the iPad is green, close Xcode and kill the Settings app on your iPad from the multitasking tray. You can do so by opening the tray with double click on the Home button and perform a tap & hold on the Settings app icon. Tap on the red button to quit the app.

Now open Settings again, and under the “General” tab you should find the “Multitasking Gestures” preference. By default, it’s set to “On”. You can now reveal the multitasking tray with a 4-5 finger swipe up, switch between apps and return to the homescreen with a 4-5 finger pinch gesture.

Taken from here.

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Yes. Install iOS 5, when it's released in the fall.

4. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Do not listen to this at all. This is no different than having iOS5 beta on your device. If you are not registered it will brick your phone, plus iOS4.3 beta has expired, therefore I don't think you will even make it to the activation screen. If your iPad is on anything less than 4.3.1, you can install it through Xcode, but I'm assuming your iPad is probably 4.3.3 out of the box. If thats the case you have to wait till fall.

5. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

Thanks for posting this. I was completely unaware it would brick your device. +1.

6. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

All you need to do is find a copy of the older version of xcode, and the rest of the steps are the same as what you do with the newest version that you buy from the Mac App store. I would imagine googling something like "Xcode old version" should help you find the old one.

7. jbud72 macrumors member

8. vader1990 thread starter macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Thanks for your help! I followed the advice, and watched that excellent video and now have gestures on my 4.3.3 iPad 2. Thanks all.

Take care,
    -V