Just got an iPhone..

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by silbeej, Oct 26, 2007.

1. silbeej macrumors 6502a

Just picked up my iPhone tonight, and i love it! Should i upgrade the firmware from the 1.0.1 that is on it, to the latest 1.1.1?? Would it cause more problems than it is worth?

2. damienvfx macrumors regular

damienvfx

You'll dig the upgrade (double home button is cool). Unless you plan on hacking your phone, then you're on your own :)

3. Farani macrumors 6502

Check out www.modmyiphone.com

If you want AppTapp Installer, which installs third party apps onto your iphone... it does this right through your iphone. Or if you want ringtones or other mods don't upgrade to 1.1.1!

I upgraded because, personally, I liked the little additions. I enjoy double-pressing the home button shortcut... this works for 3 things. If you're listening to music and your phone is locked, double tap the home button and play controls pop up. 2, if you're not listening to music and you double tap it either can bring your favorites list up or you ipod controls... the third way is if you have the double tap set to favorites, then you can choose it so when you're playing music and double tap, it brings up an ipod menu.

They also added a nice function... if you're typing something and u double tap the space bar it automatically adds a period and a space after the period. All of these features were more valuable to me. 1.1.1. one-click jailbreaks should be out soon enough anyways :cool:

4. MattyMac macrumors 68000

MattyMac

Congrats on your iPhone!

Yes...do yourself a favor and download the newest iPhone software! But DO NOT hack your iPhone, it will cause nothing but problems. I don't know why anyone does this. Apple made it perfectly the way it is :apple:.

Just enjoy your iPhone for all it is!

5. hidehide macrumors 6502

Im not sure why you guys say 1.1.1 isnt good if you want to unlock..
    My 1.1.1 is unlocked, I installed apptrap.. and I can use custom ringtone, custom sound set.. everything I can think of..
    Its better than 1.0.2 unlocked one..

6. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

7. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

This has to be sound advice. After all, it won't be that long before the SDK is available with all the goodies that will herald.

8. boss1 macrumors 6502a

boss1

I would heed the advice of what others are saying in this thread. Taking the road of hacking or modding your iPhone is a long, trying!, and lonely road.

Warning:
    The following area may contain mature, graphic, and sad face content. Viewer discretion is advised

The following may happen to you: (note the number of responses to all of the threads below are zero, and all the threads below are from those who "Bricked" their iphones and desperately seeking help regarding an unlock or hack)

board sample 1
    [​IMG]
    board sample 2
    [​IMG]
    board sample 3
    [​IMG]
    board sample 4
    [​IMG]

This is just a few quick snapshots from a few pages on these boards over the past week or so. hundreds of examples like this exist all over the interweb! :(

9. silbeej thread starter macrumors 6502a

i'm not going to hack mine, i was jsut wondering if upgrading to 1.1.1 would lower battery life, or make the phone worse. THat being said, does upgrading fix the low call volume of the ear piece?

10. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

Apple says it raises the ear piece volume...still not enough imo but better than nothing, right?

11. groove-agent macrumors 6502a

groove-agent

People do this so that they can use the iphone in countries other than the US and so they don't necessarily have to subscribe to a 3 year data/ voice plan with AT&T.