just got an old mac - running really slow/needs factory reset/can't connect to wifi!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by hansmoleman1, Mar 22, 2015.

1. hansmoleman1 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I've been given an old Mac that was unwanted (it was used by a graphic design agency) that seems to work fine except that it is unbearably slow. I'd quite like to see if I can use it for music recording.

Firstly, I can't get it on to the internet. I click my router and type in the password correctly and it just doesn't connect and asks me for the password again. It won't let me change the security type and I think this is the problem.

Second, I would like to factory reset it but I can't seem to work out how. There seems to be a lot of restarting involved and it takes literally about 20 minutes to boot.

Its running 10.6.3 - I can't get it to update without the internet. I have tried installing 10.6.4 by a USB and it seems to work fine until its start updating and it is then telling me it's failed and to contact the software developer (APPLE?!)

Can anyone help me setting it up? I don't need the latest software etc. it was a £2000 machine in 2009/10 so if I could use it like it is 2010 that would be awesome.

Any help would be much appreciated, I'm a PC user so I find it all quite confusing!

Many thanks, Aaron

2. Habberkuk macrumors member

Firstly, what mac is it (post all the specs please)?

To reset EVERYTHING, go download a copy of Yosemite.

Install it to a USB drive (8 GB or larger) using a program like disk maker x http://diskmakerx.com/whats-this/

After that, boot up your mac while pressing then option key "⌥"
    Select the newly created USB driver.

When the mac has booted up into the installer from the USB drive, navigate to Disk Utility.

Reformat the hard drive and then install os x. Just exit disk utility and then you should be able to install os x on to the HDD.

This should help you out ;)

3. hansmoleman1 thread starter macrumors newbie

would be great if i can get it working!

ok its in the process of restarting now (the apple logo and the loading thing - its been like an hour but i'll leave it going then i'll find the specs

off the top of my head its 2.4Ghz Intel Duo Core 2009 spec

i cant download yosemite from apple without being on a mac thats 10.6.6 and i'm 10.6.3 can i get it anywhere else?

thanks for your reply!

4. hansmoleman1 thread starter macrumors newbie

FULL SPECS

Processor 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Memory 4GB 667Hz DDR2 SDRAM
    Version 10.6.3

Is that everything? Is it even worth trying to rescue or is it past it anyway? I can't see how it cant work like it did in 2010

5. matreya macrumors 65816

matreya

Sounds like the hard drive inside the iMac has started to fail. It is probably beyond your abilities to repair, and not worth investing in to get someone else to repair it.

6. hansmoleman1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I'm thinking that to - I was quoted £120 to get it done which doesn't seem worthwhile.

On the other hand, its getting scrapped if I don't so I'm going to see if I can get it swapped myself!

Wish me luck

7. hansmoleman1 thread starter macrumors newbie

I dont suppose anyone could recommend an SSD or failing that a HDD?

8. Fishrrman macrumors G3

The easiest way to ascertain if the problem is drive-related is to hook up an external, bootable drive and try to boot that way.

If the Mac boots right up from the external, it's a good sign that the Mac itself is ok, but the internal drive is either failing or needs a complete "software rehabilitation"...

9. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

10. someoldguy, Mar 23, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2015

someoldguy macrumors 65816

Over the last 18 months or so , I've done hard drive swaps on a 2009 20" and a 2009 24" . It's not particularly difficult if you take your time and make sure you have enough room to work and the tools you need . Find the appropriate iFixit guide and watch it a couple of times so you know what you're getting into . If you hunt around online you should be able to find a free download of the appropriate service manual for your Mac . Check that out, too . I found it helpful to wear a pair of white cotton gloves when pulling off the glass panel and removing the LCD panel , just to avoid being driven crazy trying to get all the fingerprints off the panel and glass . Be real careful removing and installing the lcd panel cables from the system board , some of the connectors can be pretty delicate . Get some help holding up the panel so you can reach in to pull off/put on the cable . A desk lamp or similar that can be shined under the lifted panel is real useful for enabling you to see what you're pulling off . Once you get the panel off , it's maybe 10 minutes to pull the old drive out and reinstall the new . There's a thermal sensor stuck to the drive that can be pried off the old drive with a pocket knife and stuck on the new . I used a bit of either rubber cement , or contact cement ( don't remember which) to re-adhere the sensor as the old adhesive just didn't want to stick for me . I put a 512 g SSD in the 24" (which was a recycling center save) , and maxed the memory to 8 gig. ,which made the old machine into a very capable machine for general usage. Don't think I'd use it for Final Cut or similar , but it's fine for general photo editing , iPhoto and the like.
    I used a Samsung SSD , an 840 IIRC . The 20" just got a 500 Gig HDD ( Western Digital , but get what's cheap if you really need to go low end) as it wasn't my machine , and the friend I was doing the job for didn't want to put a lot of cash into it .
    Putting the machine back together is just the reverse of taking apart , just be careful re-connecting the cables for the lcd panel . As regards installing an OS ..... Contact Apple support ( call them) and see if they'll still sell you a Snow Leopard CD. Used to be around 20 bucks if I remember right . This way you'll have the machine set up with the OS version it came with , and will have a fallback if Yosemite doesn't run decently.I think the version on the Snow Leopard Retail disk is 10.6.3 or 10.6.4 . Figure an hour to hour and a half to do the whole job if you take your time .

Did some searching on Everymac , from the memory speed it looks like yours is a 2007 .