Just got enough money to buy 24" iMac, wait or buy now?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Itacious, Jul 23, 2009.

  1. Itacious macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2009
    Location:
    Georgia, USA
    #1
    OK, first off, this is my first post here on MacRumors. So be easy on me, I'm a noob. :eek:

    I have been reading a lot about Macs as of late, and excluding a brief urge to build my own PC, I have been waiting to get one since August '08.

    I have decided my first Mac to be a 24" iMac with the following specs:

    2.93 Ghz Core 2 Duo
    4GB DDR3 RAM
    640GB Harddrive
    ATI Radeon HD4850
    Wired Mighty Mouse
    Wired Keyboard w/ Numeric Keypad
    Apple Remote

    I have recently acquired enough money to purchase said computer (OK, so I have $63.32 to go!) and was originally going to wait until the rumored Fall '09 Bump/Price Drop, but as you can imagine I have a hole burning in my pocket.

    I would like to be gaming with this computer (CrossOver & Bootcamp FTW! :p), so a faster GPU or Quad-core CPU refresh would be nice. If get the iMac now I can get Snow Leopard for $9.99 when it comes out, so that's not a problem.

    The question is will Apple update the iMac in fall and if so will it be worth the wait? I don't think I could wait until Spring '10 if Apple updates it then. ;)
    Thanks for the help! :D
     
  2. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

    MacMini2009

    Joined:
    May 22, 2009
    Location:
    California
    #2
    No quad cores, maybe Arrandale in fall, but for sure next year. If you need it now buy it.
     
  3. jmoore5196 macrumors 6502a

    jmoore5196

    Joined:
    May 19, 2009
    Location:
    Midwest US
    #3
    If upgrades in the early fall will have you despairing that you should have waited, wait! Were I in your shoes, I'd probably find a tin in the cupboard in which to stash the cash and cool my heels until the upgrades hit ... for me, there's no worse feeling than realising I could have waited and gotten better specs for the same money.

    But that's technology. If you need the machine now, grab it. I think you'd be very happy with the 2.93.
     
  4. Itacious thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2009
    Location:
    Georgia, USA
    #4
    I wouldn't mind too much if I got it then they did refresh it in Fall '09... As long as it doesn't come out with like a GTX280 w/ 2.66 ghz Quad. :p Or does a quad 2.66 make that big of a difference vs a 2.93 dual? Either way, thanks for the advice.
     
  5. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

    MacMini2009

    Joined:
    May 22, 2009
    Location:
    California
    #5
    They can't put quads in the iMac because it uses mobile cpus, Clarksfield will be a quad mobile cpu, but wont be out or in iMacs for a long time.
     
  6. Hellhammer Moderator

    Hellhammer

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2008
    Location:
    Finland
    #6
    If next update includes quads they will top out at 2GHz. Quad-core sucks in gaming. Games that support it can be counted with one hand's fingers. GT200M series from nVidia is expected to be used in next update and they offer great performance though drivers sucks if Apple still writes them.

    I would buy one now and sell it if new ones comes and you want/need an update. Few months old computer doesn't lose a lot of its value, maybe 100$.
     
  7. Hellhammer Moderator

    Hellhammer

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2008
    Location:
    Finland
    #7
    Clarksfields are coming in Sep/Oct but top out at 2GHz and costs over 1000$ each. I don't see Apple wanting high clocked duals vs low clocked quads situation
     
  8. Itacious thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2009
    Location:
    Georgia, USA
    #8
    Hmm. Good point. I agree, I think I'll just get one now and if the upgrades are too good I'll just sell it and get a new one.
     
  9. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Jul 5, 2008
    Location:
    Thule GL @ the TOW
    #9
    ...get the current refurb of the machine you want and save more $$ - put that toward applecare...
     
  10. afters macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 16, 2009
    Location:
    London
    #10
    Something to consider is the constant rumours of a price drop on the rumoured iMac update in the next couple of months. Might save you a bit of money, especially if you've been saving for a while (and still have a bit to go anyway).

    Obviously, no guarantees that either will happen (new iMac or price drop) within next couple of months, but something definitely worth considering.
     
  11. Hellhammer Moderator

    Hellhammer

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2008
    Location:
    Finland
    #11
    Price drop rumor came because Apple lowered the price of laptops so now people thinks that they'll do the same for desktops. It's just a rumor, I wouldn't believe it. Last time we had dozens of rumors but they weren't right
     
  12. tim100 macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    May 25, 2009
    #12
    I prefer the notebook line. I like the design and the recent upgrades. I would pick a umbp over an imac at this time. The next imac update should bring it in line with the notebook line. I wonder if we will get led?
     
  13. Hellhammer Moderator

    Hellhammer

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2008
    Location:
    Finland
    #13
    I doubt it. LED displays are too expensive so if we get a price cut we can forget LED.
     
  14. tim100 macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    May 25, 2009
    #14
    can you recommend a imac over the new umbp

    24 inch imac 2.93 $1800 vs 15 inch umbp $2000

    24 inch imac 3.06 $2200 vs 17 inch umbp $2500

    for a little extra money you dont lose specs and get to be portable.

    I have a combo umbp and imac. so I like the imac. just my opinion. a 2 mac house maybe better with 2 umbp?
     
  15. Hellhammer Moderator

    Hellhammer

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2008
    Location:
    Finland
    #15
    iMacs are pricey atm but I just love its screen. MBP + iMac quality external monitor is at least 500$ extra. I already had a laptop so iMac was no brainer for me
     
  16. iMacmatician macrumors 601

    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2008
    #16
    AppleInsider was saying price drops for the iMac (as well as the MacBook) back in April.
     
  17. yoak macrumors 65816

    yoak

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2004
    Location:
    Oslo, Norway
    #17
    Sorry, but you do loose specs. The iMac has laptop parts EXCEPT from the hard drive that is "normal" size, ie. faster.
    When I went from my 24" 2,16 iMac to my 2,5 MBP that was 2 years newer, it felt slower than my iMac when editing.
    And that 24" screen is to die for in my opinion.
    Don´t get a portable if you don´t need portability.
     
  18. Gav2k macrumors G3

    Gav2k

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2009
    #18
    If u wait till the next spec update u will wait forever. There is no planned update to the range and that comes from a friend in the know. The usual Xmas discount may still apply but apple hasn't forwarded any information to there stores as yet.
     
  19. silentnite macrumors 6502a

    silentnite

    Joined:
    Apr 21, 2009
    Location:
    Outer sight.. Outer mind
    #19
    Something to think about, with apple doing very well right now & the Christmas Holiday nearing. Macbook's & Macbook pro's are selling like hot cakes. The release of Final cut & logic. Apple has nothing left but the release of a better Imac & ipod touch in order to keep in sync with all the other new releases. (Snowleopard) So in other words, yes we can expect an update to the desktop line real soon.

    I would wait another 2 months. If something is to come. it would be around October, just before the Holiday sales, right after all the college kids are all drained out of money. Surprise we got all new Mac's for you. Unless of course you need it right now.
     
  20. Hellhammer Moderator

    Hellhammer

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2008
    Location:
    Finland
    #20
    They didn't update them last year on that though people were waiting for update to come. Neither in MacWorld.

    I'm seeing picture of me on every waiter because I acted same. I believed every rumor and I was sure that update will be on next Tuesday. But it didn't. I was 100% sure that there will be an update in MacWorld, then when iLife '09 came, early Feb, late Feb....

    If they update 'em before Arrandale, it means that they will stick with current CPUs which are old.
     
  21. silentnite macrumors 6502a

    silentnite

    Joined:
    Apr 21, 2009
    Location:
    Outer sight.. Outer mind
    #21
    Yes, I see your point, however we must keep in mind that a rumor is just a rumor but by using history we will find that is repeats itself. Apple had the Imac line ready to go they just held on and released it when they were ready. Just when we thought no Imac was coming and gave up, once the smoke cleared the Imac appeared.

    This is how apple works, I recall years ago when buying my first sony vaio pcv 120 Intel MMX. I wanted a mac then but was waiting for a new line to come out. It was right after the Sony purchase, apple came out with the all new line. The Sales guys at J &R were telling me to just wait but I wanted a new computer. My advice is to wait, needing & wanting are the key words.
     
  22. Itacious thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2009
    Location:
    Georgia, USA
    #22
    Eh, I do envy the MacBook Pro's screen DPI... I remember going to BestBuy recently and being blown away by the MBP's screen. The iMac seemed a bit lacking on the DPI for my tastes. But I'll have to go look at it again the next time I go to BestBuy or Micro Center; it probably isn't that bad. Another thing is the MBP maxes out on a GT9600M. Price isn't to much of an issue now that Apple cut them significantly, though it could still be lower. ;)
     
  23. Itacious thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2009
    Location:
    Georgia, USA
    #23
    On second thought, it wasn't really that bad at all, Apple's font rendering throws me off a bit. :p
     
  24. tim100 macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    May 25, 2009
    #24
    I think it is hard to pick an imac over a macbook pro that is point. the macbook pro can be teamed up with a nice external display.
     
  25. Jabbamk1 macrumors member

    Jabbamk1

    Joined:
    Jun 18, 2009
    Location:
    London, England
    #25
    it depends if you need the portability as well as screen size. if you are always on the go and find yourself needing to do work away from home definatly get the laptop. If you are mostly at home get an iMac or get a MBP if you dont need to much screen space. If you are editing vids/photos then i recommned the iMac screen.
     

Share This Page