Just got my 2011 early mbp from apple repair couple of questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hatersgonnahate, Dec 4, 2014.

1. hatersgonnahate macrumors 6502a

i sent it for repair since it was super slow after updating to mavericks. apparently, the logic board was messed up i didnt have apple care. the battery was replaced and the ram (8gb).

should i upgrade the to yosemite? is it worth the upgrade?

to those who had their mbp repaired by apple, how is your computer holding up?

since the repair only has a 90 day warranty, im worried if i should just sell it before it messes up again. thanks.

early 2011 mbp 15 inch
    2ghz i7 8gb

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd sell it, if I were you. The repair is only kicking the can down the road. The GPU will fail again.

As for Yosemite, check out what apple states for features
    http://www.apple.com/osx/

if there are features you want in the OS, then go for it, if not stick with Mavericks.

3. hatersgonnahate thread starter macrumors 6502a

anybody else? to those who sold their mbp, how much were you able to get for it? what's a reasonable asking price?

4. matty1551 macrumors 6502

I bought mine used off CL for $640. Maybe he knew of the gpu issues and that's why I got a deal.

5. macjunk(ie) macrumors 6502a

Run graphic tests on it ...day in and out...to make sure you fail it again within the 3 month window period....goto Apple again and get it repaired. Repeat this process until Apple gives you a new one. I had one of these...sold it for a huge loss...my friend used the strategy I described above and got himself a late 2013 retina :)

The risk is though...your laptop will not fail in the next 3 months but it will will fail on the first day after the 3 month period!

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Why go through all that, when the OP can just sell it and buy another computer. Seems like trying to make the repaired one fail for almost a year seems like a pain and not worth the effort imo.

7. Tyrion macrumors 6502a

I've now had two mainboard replacements on my early-2011 MBPS and its just failed a third time yesterday (heading to the Apple Store on Friday). The replacement boards lasted about five to six months each; this seems to be par for the course, since they're obviously not new, but refurbished, so the GPU issue hits sooner rather than later. Not sure what I'm gonna do now. I'm definitely NOT ready to plonk down another three grand on a new laptop after having experienced three mainboard failures over the course of one year.

8. macjunk(ie) macrumors 6502a

cause there is a high likelihood that his laptop will go for peanuts in case he decides to sell it...cause people might know of this issue now. It is a different matter if he able to sell it to a poor, gullible chap...

apparently...it is not that difficult to make it fail....you loop through a graphic test for days and it fails...

But I am with you...if he gets a good price...better to just sell it and invest his time elsewhere....

9. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Well at least if you plonk down another 3 grand for a new one, the logic board won't conk out on you for the next few years.

10. Tyrion macrumors 6502a

Well duh. But judging from Apple's record with the machines I've bought from them in past few years, I wouldn't be too sure about that (before my 2011 MBP I had a Santa Rosa MBP with the infamous Geforce 8600M).

All I want is for my expensive "pro"-class laptop to work at least five years. Not much to ask IMHO.