Just got my iBook!!!!

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
just got it this morning. this thing is ridiculous. i went into my store and brought it in...i opened it and it was like "airport password" ... 5 seconds to type it and all proxies and everything were discovered and working. i am in love and i still have an iPod coming.

if i could get a little help tho. my stupid windows machines have my music and im having trouble finding the sharred drives thru samba and any other way. if anyone can help me please reply.

satisfied sparkleytone

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC

it works just fine really. i have narrowed it down to a "windows sucks" error and i really dont feel like troubleshooting it and ruining this "my first mac" day.

gawd, havent been let down once except when it involved microsoft today. first samba, then msn messenger.

btw the AOL IM beta sux too...but i found Fire which seems to own pretty nicely. lemme know of better chat clients plz.

[Edited by sparkleytone on 11-12-2001 at 07:36 PM]

oldMac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2001
moving those mp3s...

Hi sparkleytone,

I've had a lot of trouble getting the windows networking features that ship with 10.1 to work consistently. (Hopefully, they'll fix it and make it a lot easier to use in 10.2)

However, you should be able to transfer them easily using FTP. Here's how...

Set up the Mac (running OS X.1)

1) System Preferences -> Choose "Sharing"
2) Check the box "Allow FTP access"
3) Make a note of the IP address at the bottom of the window

Use the PC to Transfer the files

1) Using an FTP client, connect to the Mac's IP address
2) Enter your username (short version) and password
3) Send the files to your mac
4) The files you send will be located in your "Home" directory (Just go to the Finder and click on the "House" icon)

You can use a shareware FTP client (like WSFTP), Windows Explorer (by typing the FTP address in), or the DOS-based FTP client for connecting from the Windows side. The shareware FTP client would probably be easiest, but if you know a little about FTP, then the DOS-based client will suffice just fine.

After you're done transferring the files (choose "binary" mode if it's offered by the FTP client, btw), it's probably a good idea to "uncheck" the "Allow FTP access" box on the Mac when you're not using it.

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
if you are a software developer then i think you would REALLY respect Sharity, which fixed all my problems. its very very easy but you are able to use alot of power if you want to. i didn't want to use another program but after being in the terminal for a little longer than I had patience for, I just downloaded it...five minutes later it worked. Terminals are only for when I'm in linux :D.

http://www.obdev.at/products/sharity/

good proggie.

Sleepy

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2001
I dont actually own a mac, so youll have to forgive me for my ignorance, but what is the "airport password"?

Security feature? Anti-theft feature? Macs have all kinds of crazy stuff that pcs dont have...

Traveler

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2001
DC
What's up with the battery life?

I got my new ibook aswell... awsome except for the battery performace which is less than 3 hours under normal operation. My old clamshell may have been a beast to haul around but at least it legitimately lasted 6 hours. I can't believe I'm saying this but I'm already looking ahead to getting a new computer.

oldMac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2001
sparkleytone couldn't wait...

Hey Sparkley,

I waited, and my machine is loading 10.1.1 as we speak. Hopefully that will fix some of the SMB issues.

MasterX (OSiX)

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2001
Airport Password

Know how some hardcore UNIX mosters hog their T1 all to themselves? Well the Airport Password helps them. Well sorta:

The idea of the Airport Password is to secure your Airport Network (since it's easier to sneek into a WiFi network) so others can't access your LAN's computers. Basically it falls under security. Theoretically if you weren't using ANY passwords the hacker in your bastment could easily mess w/your HD if the Airport Password wasn't on. I leave myne off so someone outside can use my cable modem if they're cool enough to own a WiFi card.

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
ummm very very sad. during a format and reinstall i noticed that i have ONE bad pixel. in the middle left of my screen. what should i do?? just live with it? i've had it for TWO DAYS!! will applecare do anything for me?? i really dont know whether or not im just being picky. i only see it on middle spectrum colors.

:( dont know what to do

ThlayliTheFierce

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
Unfortunately, that will probably fall under "acceptable" for the screen. I bought a bit more monitor that I originally planned for when I built my last computer, and after a month, I noticed a pixel was missing. I called customer service and they said that the limit was six. Maybe Apple will take it back, it's worth a shot.

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
yup thats exactly what they said...oh well *sigh*

i am excited again tho because i just got my SMC wireless router/printserver and it rules...took like 5 minutes or so to set the router up to be only an access point for now. w00t it works all thru the house like BUTTA!

out.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
acceptable bad pixels

i sometimes see what i think is a bad pixel but it always does not show up because of what i am looking at and the background colors and all that

after using an ibook and a pc laptop, perhaps with some bad pixels, each for two years, i will never go back to CRT because now when i use a CRT in my computer repair studio at work, i notice the flicker rate and it drives me batty

i will take a few bad pixels over a CRT any day of the week

...i will admit that there are a lot of really knowledgeable techie gamers out there who still are CRT loyalists and they think my ranting against CRTs is unwarranted...not to mention a few graphics people who like the large 21"+ CRTs over the cinema screen due to cost (but that may be solved with falling LCD costs and an increase in technology to get the color calibration within the 6 delta unit industry standard for graphics)

MasterX (OSiX)

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2001
Does the difference between Active Matrix XGA and the desktop LCD system account for that "motion blur" effect you see on a laptop? I don't recall seeing any blur on a Cinema at the Apple Store, but I see it on every laptop.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
laptop screens

the old passive matrix screen on my pc laptop shows a lot of motion blur but it's ok for slower games like flight simulator

the active matrix screen on my ibook fares much better with faster moving images

...but the latest laptops i have seen have very little blur but the fast games still seem somewhat sharper on CRTs but i can't really fare well in those ultra fast games anyway...i always get killed on the first level

MasterX (OSiX)

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2001
Passive matrix is a joke, Apple's always been good putting in Active-Matrix screens (since I can recall). But what I meant was why there is no blurring on a Apple Studio LCD.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
there is some "blurring" on fast movement at the mac store where the salespeople play games on the cinema screen, but i find it tolerable unlike some "hardcore" gamers who still like the large CRT and the lower price, of course

also congrats masterX on 100!

MasterX (OSiX)

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2001
Hey thanks, my goal was to get it ASAP, although I lost count, and yet kept posting for unknown reasons.

Also for all the Bungie game fans out there i just submitted a clan to Bungie's "7th Column" so if you live in the Trenton/Lawrenceville area hopefully we'll have a clan soon. I don't have an XBox, and I'm not gonna get one, but for the sole use of Halo I'll let one come into my house :¬)

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
silicon valley

i have seen new jersey posters on macrumors.com but i live in silicon valley, or 35 mi. south of the five or six county computer building region which rivals, in ugliness, some of the industrial areas of the east coast

living here demystifies apple since it is so sad to see their white building admist all those thousands of pee cee companies

starting near santa cruz and traveling north past san francisco, you have seagate, then transmeta, then western digital, then hewlett packard, then ebay, then toshiba, then compaq, then apple, then ibm, then sun, then microsoft, then oracle, then autodesk, etc...2600 companies in all at last count

i miss the san jose area orchards and once beautiful countryside in the 60s and 70s i remember as a kid and teenager and once light traffic but now the valley region is starting to resemble los angeles, and for northern california, that is not a good thing

and what is this damn business with your east coast sports teams? ...last year the baltimore ravens routed the oakland raiders in the afc title game, the oakland a's got killed by the yankees, the san francisco giants got killed by the new york mets so it was your subway series and not ours, the a's got killed again by the yankees...but at least arizona won the world series and that is close enough to west coast for me...i mean, i will take them as my home team

i feel good about the sf 49ers and oakland raiders this year, at least until the playoffs when some eastern team will knock the bejesus out of them again (our football teams have old players and we might have to steal an east coast player or two the way we stole your barry bonds from the pirates in baseball)...the last time we won a super bowl out on the west coast was with 49ers in 1994 season! our last west coast wolrd series win was, i think, the a's back in 1989

now i am rambling and might get into "chick and car talk" like sweetaction mentioned in a previous post...i hope to get joey in on this one since he seems to remind me of spikey/kela/john123/monkeybusiness when they first came onto macrumors (ready for forum battle)

...now the closest thing we have to a forum battle these days are fake pc users and past members coming on here with a new identity/alter ego

[Edited by jefhatfield on 11-19-2001 at 11:38 AM]