Just got my iPhone, trying to figure out ringer and speaker volumes

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Barbs, Jan 21, 2009.

1. Barbs macrumors 6502

The ringer volume really doesn't get very loud, does it? I have it set as high as it goes. Does the ringer volume also dictate the volume of the speaker you put your ear up to? I had the ringer volume all the way up, answered a call and it sounded almost like I had the person on speaker phone. I then used the buttons on the side of the iphone to lower the ear piece volume and I think that also reduced the ringer volume.

I'm confused. Why are these two things interrelated? If I have the iphone on the volume I like to have the ear piece, I'll never hear the phone ring in my pant pocket or jacket pocket.

2. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

It's to make it simple, of course. Volume up, volume down. It's so complicated to set up different volume controls in the settings for keyboard sounds, speaker phone, ringer, call volume, alarm, and whatever else. It's much more user friendly to turn volume down when a call is too loud and turn it up after you missed a call as the ringer was too soft.

3. Barbs thread starter macrumors 6502

I would much rather have separate settings for ringer volume and call volume. I like having the ringer set to high and the call volume set around 70%. Just seems odd to me that lowering the call volume would also lower the ringer volume. If simplicity is the reason for this....then why not set it up the way I describe below.

- While the phone is ringing, if you select the up or down side buttons you control just the ringing volume and nothing else

- While you are on a phone call, you select the up and down side buttons and you control just the call volume.

Simple enough.

4. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Funny, that's exactly how my iPhone works. Call volume and ring volume are separate, as is speaker call volume.

5. Barbs thread starter macrumors 6502

jailbroken?

6. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Nope. That's how both of my iPhones have worked as well. The volume scrubber in the settings menu controls UI sounds (ringer, key clicks, text alerts, etc.) and there's a different volume gauge that appears on screen while on a call. It's got the picture of the speaker and a bunch of little dots underneath.