Just got my MBA! New to OSX. Where are the disks?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by DJiGGs, Aug 3, 2011.

1. DJiGGs macrumors newbie

I just bought my first Mac. After building and selling high end PC's for more then 6 years now.

Now I know when I bought the MBA, that it wouldnt come with any discs, why would it, there isn't an optical drive, but my question is, where can I download the OS X, and other software that was included, so I can burn it to a disk, when I want to reformat later on?
    Or to a USB stick.

I was going to bootcamp and put Win 7 ultimate, but I think ill just leave on Lion.

So far so great.

I have the 13" LG Display with 128 Samsung SSD, wish I got the samsung display but oh well. Looks beautiful

Thanks for the help

2. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

There is an automatic recovery partition on the MBA drive for internet recovery..Everything will be redownloaded from the Mac App Store.

Enjoy your new laptop! I just got a 13" MBA i5, 128GB yesterday.. Got the Samsung SSD and LG display as well. Wish it was samsung but I'm still really happy with it!

3. troop231 macrumors 603

Lion has a recovery partition that's hidden in case you ever need to reinstall/reformat. If you want to download it, you'll need to buy it from the Mac App Store.

4. DJiGGs thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay so basically its all built in?

When I want to reformat how would I go about doing that?

Thank you, enjoy yours as well.

5. KPOM macrumors G5

Yes, the recovery partition is built in. It downloads the files using a Wi-Fi connection and then reinstalls the OS. There is also a way to restore online even if the recovery partition is damaged.

You really shouldn't need to reformat your SSD, but if you do, you can do that in Disk Utility in the Utilities subfolder in your Applications folder.

Most of your questions relate to OS X, so they may be better suited for the Lion (OS X 10.7) forum.

6. flynz4 macrumors 68040

OSX Lion and iLife are essentially "pre-bought" on the Mac App Store. You do not have to pay for them if you have a new machine.

Press command-R on boot. There are options for wiping the drive... or loading Lion from the net.

/Jim

7. troop231 macrumors 603

He has to pay if he wants to put them on a bootable disc like he suggested, unless he torrents but I don't recommend that.

8. blkonblk17 macrumors 6502

Actually the one d/l from the mac app store I believe isn't compatible with the macbook air. The reason why is because I have it on a bootable usb stick and it will not work / install on the mba. The mba has to be done via the recovery partition and you "must" be connected to the internet..

9. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I suspect the reason he wanted it on a bootable disk was because he felt that was necessary. If he follows normal procedures... it is free.

/Jim

10. deeddawg macrumors 603

11. idroid84 macrumors newbie

Correct.