Just got my MBP 13" thinking of a switch to 15"?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by brainache, Sep 20, 2011.

1. brainache macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I posted on here a short while ago saying I wasn't sure which to go for.
    I picked up the i5 13" and have 120GB SSD on the way to me now.
    Like I said in the last post I will mainly be using the MBP for Ableton and then none challenging things like web browsing etc.
    I want this laptop to last 3-5 years which is why I'm starting to question whether I should of went for the 15".
    I just want to hear from some other people who have a bit of a better idea than I do maybe from some people who actually own the 15".
    This computer seems to perform as well as my 09 27" iMac did which is pretty impressive.
    Don't know if the extra £500 for the 15" is going to be worth my while but I imagine it would give me more insurance that it would keep up with all updates in the future for the programs I use.
    Any info or guidance would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

2. andy.barron macrumors 6502

I think you have answered your own question....... If you have doubts now they will only get worse when you have one too many pallets in an app. etc. or wish the web page you are looking at would move over just a bit so you could see.......

Swap it now, in a weeks time you will be so glad you did.:)

I have the mbp i7 15", & I sometimes just look at it and wink;)

3. brainache thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I think you're right just have to make do with what foods in the house for a few weeks haha

4. fisherking macrumors 601

fisherking

outside of processor differences, screen size...how will the 15" last longer than the 13" (or, say, less than the 17"?)

go for what you want based on specs, screen size, etc. whatever u use, it's life is dependent on things u do (care for it, etc) and the random stuff that's out of your control.

5. henry72, Sep 20, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2011

henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

I think the 15" is totally worth it and at least last you for 3-4 years. Personally, I would get the MacBook Air if I'm going to get the 13" MacBook Pro due the low res.

I would recommend you upgrade the 15" to High-res as well :D

6. brainache thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah man that's the point I think I was making ... it's hard to judge how far forward music production software will come in the next few years.

When I say last I don't mean in the sense that it will die on me but I mean more in the sense the progression in software would be handled better by say the 15" than the 13".

As for the high res screen if I'm honest I have no issues with the one I'm using what so ever it wouldn't really be a vital upgrade for me but I can see why it would be for others.

7. andy.barron macrumors 6502

I think you may have missed the point to his question

8. fisherking macrumors 601

fisherking

how so??

and...THE EDIT:

i run logic on a late-2008 13" macbook, Lion. photoshop, dreamweaver. etc. all works fine (i AM planning a new mac soon). but everything works. my collab has a 15" from 2010, and lots of problems.

this is all random stuff. screen size and the processor differences between the mbps (13", 15", 17") won't tell u anything about longevity; and all 3 should work with coming software for years...

9. andy.barron macrumors 6502

He has the 13" on order & is wondering if he should have gone for the 15". Read the thread.

10. brainache thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome that was a great insight and reply.
    You see basically it's keep this 13" and have the SSD upgrade or wait out for an SSD upgrade but get the 15".
    I think you saying you're running logic fine makes me think that for the type of things I will be using my laptop for I will be completely fine with what I have and obviously the SSD is going to be a great upgrade as well.
    I'm still interested to hear any other opinions though especially others using music software.

11. andy.barron macrumors 6502

Get the 15" & wait............ You'll regret it if you don't:D

12. Minhthien macrumors 6502

13. gakuran hitori macrumors regular

gakuran hitori

Since you bought a laptop that performs as well as your desktop, I'm assuming you mostly need something portable. Naturally, the 13" is lighter and easier to travel with so you may have made the right choice. If what you have now is sufficient, then you won't really need more power unless your activities change. It's up to you on how much more intensive stuff you think you'll be doing in the next 3-5 years. Keep in mind macs also have great resale value so if you find you do need more power in the next few years you could sell it and pick up the newest model which will obviously be even more powerful than what's out today.

14. brainache thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I also got a great deal on the SSD so obviously that's something which could be considered in a resale in the future if I felt the need to upgrade.
    Sorry I wasn't clear but I don't actually own the iMac anymore it was sold a while ago but I'm just comparing this to when I had that and going off specs and obviously taking into consideration the laptop over desktop.