Original poster
Sep 8, 2009
it has the magsafe and then an ac cord

which one should i use?

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
The cord is just an extension. If you want a longer cord, remove the pins on the power supply like that:

And connect the extension cord instead. Most people I know use the extension, but you may prefer not to use it for more portability. It's just a matter of how long of a cord you need, it makes no difference on charging itself.

utl768

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 8, 2009
thanks for the responses

first apple laptop so i wasnt sure what was what

Puevlo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2011
The cord is just an extension. If you want a longer cord, remove the pins on the power supply like that:

And connect the extension cord instead. Most people I know use the extension, but you may prefer not to use it for more portability. It's just a matter of how long of a cord you need, it makes no difference on charging itself.
Actually the electrons have further to travel which increases the resistance and reduces the efficiency. Over the lifetime of the MBP we are talking hundreds of gigawatts wasted.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Actually the electrons have further to travel which increases the resistance and reduces the efficiency. Over the lifetime of the MBP we are talking hundreds of gigawatts wasted.
Hundreds of gigawatts? Absolutely not. Ridiculous hyperbole.

jW

Ledgem

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
If you'll be using your charger in a public place where other people plug in, please switch the connector out to use the cord. I've been in many libraries where electric outlets couldn't be used because someone had to plug their entire brick into an outlet, covering up the outlet beside it.

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
That's terribly exaggerated. Your MBP itself will probably never use a full megawatt during its lifetime. Waste because of the extension is negligible. Charging time is the same.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
I bet you're confused about the double rainbow as well...