Just got my MBP! Do I turn it on and let the battery die before charging?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by andyACEcandy, Aug 17, 2009.

1. andyACEcandy macrumors 6502a

What's the general consensus on macbooks. Do you just keep it plugged in? Do you let it die then recharge when necessary?

Does it matter?

2. belvdr macrumors 603

3. highertechnology macrumors 6502

4. CJS7070 macrumors 6502a

CJS7070

When you first get it, plug it in and charge it to 100%. Let it sit for a few hours plugged in, then unplug it and let it run all the way down to calibrate.

5. bschh macrumors newbie

once i got it i just plugged it in right away then just went on with setting it up

6. helloimD4NNY macrumors regular

i plugged it in, left it plugged in for 2 hours then drained it.

7. Kuwashima macrumors newbie

I am an idiot, but...
    Two things I've never understood.
    1. How do you turn the computer off if it's sleeping? (and who would wait for 5 hours if turning it off was just as good?)
    2. Can you use the computer while it is charging in step 6? Or do you have to wait until the battery is fully charged before turning the machine on?

8. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

Honestly, calibrating it precisely right after you get it probably wont matter. Charge it up, run it down till it sleeps, let it completely cool off, then plug it back in. And you can use it wile charging from what i understand.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't, but if you really want to just hold the power button down for about 5 to 10 seonds. That will force it down

[/QUOTE]
    Of course, I do all the time.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I keep it plugged in and when I'm needing the mobility I unplug it. Basically its on the battery only when I'm not near an outlet.

The more recharge cycles (draining/recharging) your batter has the less time it will last. These batteries only have a finite amount of recharges in them, afterwhich they'll stop holding a charge as long. That's why I avoid any deep drains on the battery because that will shorten the battery life. To that end, I avoid calibrating it (which deep drains it) until I have too. As I noted in the other thread, my 08 uni MBP has only one calibration under its belt and the battery life is great.