Just got my new iMac : HD is making a lot of noise

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by FrenchPB, Aug 24, 2008.

1. FrenchPB macrumors 6502

Guys,

I just unpacked my new iMac, and the first thing I noticed was how much noise the HD was making. I never noticed that on my parents' iMac, so that gets me very worried.

It's not any weird or very loud noise, but it's permanent, any time there's an access to it. Is it normal that I can hear it anytime my HD is working :S

Is there any utility software I can run to check everything is normal ? Or am I unlucky and will I have to send it back to Apple to check is anything is not normal ?

2. FrenchPB thread starter macrumors 6502

I ran a check disk on the disk utility software, and it went back OK, something like "Everything seems to be normal".

I'm now doing a software update... over 700MB to download for a brand new iMac out of the box. I guess that'll be a good test for my hard drive... can it be "rusty" being brand new, or will it only get worse ?

3. FrenchPB thread starter macrumors 6502

For information, I have a 20" 2,66Ghz iMac, with the 500Go HD. It's written WDC, so I guess it's a Western Digital disk.

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

You can run the Apple Hardware Test, which came with your iMac. You can also run tools such as TechTool - they may have come with AppleCare if you elected to get it with your Mac.

5. FrenchPB thread starter macrumors 6502

Where is the Apple Hardware Test ? Is it on a DVD or on the iMac ?

6. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Instructions for invoking it are in your iMac's manual. The procedure varies from Mac to Mac.

7. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

If you're unhappy after running the test, just give Apple a call and say that you're worried that you have a faulty HD - if it's a brand new machine they should have no problem with sorting it out for you.

Check your statutory rights and distance selling laws (if you ordered via the internet) before you call.

8. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

are you sure its the HD and not the super/combo drive?

9. LifeAfter1am macrumors newbie

if you want to do the hardware test, Put in you OS X install disks and Reboot.
    As soon as you hear the computer turn on hold the "T" key and that will bring up the apple hardware test

10. LifeAfter1am macrumors newbie

Sorry, I meant to say the option key. T is for target disk mode