Just got my replacement phone. Gained a ton of space

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Maui19, Oct 8, 2013.

1. Maui19 macrumors regular

I just got my 4S replaced via Applecare+. My old phone only had about 4gb of space available. After backing it up and restoring to my new (refurb) phone, I now have over 7gb of free space. I didn't delete anything, so did the process of backing up and restoring consolidate files and data so that I gained a bunch of space? I normally wouldn't worry about this stuff, but I'm thinking of getting a 5S and this would definitely effect my decision about how much capacity to get on my new phone.

2. dazedxar macrumors member

No Apps use a lot of your storage for data and documents (Caches). For example, Vine is using 800mb of space on my 5s now, Facebook is using 300mb, and Instagram is using 200mb. When you got a new phone and installed the apps for the 1st time, they don't use any storage until you use them.

3. Maui19 thread starter macrumors regular

I can understand how clearing caches would free up space, but all the data and documents from my original phone are present on my refurb. Could I have possibly had over 3GB of caches?

4. Mini125 macrumors newbie

My tapatalk app uses over 1gb sometimes 2gb of cache..

5. hamiltonDSi macrumors 65816

hamiltonDSi

Yep.

6. Bugeyeblue macrumors 6502a

Bugeyeblue

Do you send/receive lots of pictures/videos through messages? That can eat up a lot of memory that you can't get back even if you delete all of your messages threads. I just restored my iPhone 5 for this reason. With iOS 7 you can see how much memory messages is using. Some people have seen 6-7gb. I had about 1.5gb. You can't get that space back unless you restore, or like you did, get a new phone. This could also be part of your new-found memory.