Just got my SSD replaced because I thought it was bad but now it seems like the MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by johnnnw, Oct 25, 2014.

1. johnnnw, Oct 25, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2014

johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

I now don't think it's the hard drive and that something is wrong with my MBP.

I can't do a clone without it reporting "write errors" and DriveDx is showing CRC errors saying it might be the cable.

I can't recreate the problem with the factory hard drive so what do I do?

Can I take my Macbook into the Apple store with the SSD and will they still help me or does it need to have the original hard drive for them to consider something is wrong with the actual laptop?

I'm almost positive it's not the ssd because now two have done the same thing in the row. All the new OS X installs I try and do fail with different problems. Also after cloning my current bootable partition back to my new SSD the SSD randomly disappears from the disk utility and the computer says it's unplugged even though it's installed in the internal bay.

I put my hdd back in and DriveDx isn't reporting the same thing. The only thing I can think that I changed is the firmware on my 840 Pro. It seems around that time that it started acting up.

2. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

That says to me there is a firmware incompatibility with the SSD and the Mac.

Can you clone with the SSD in an enclosure?

3. johnnnw thread starter macrumors 65816

johnnnw

I can't even format it. This definitely seems like a firmware issue because originally the old drive was doing the same thing and now the new one is doing it as well. Unless I got two bad ones then it's the firmware or it's my Mac.

I get a "file system formatter failed" error when I try to erase it. Sometimes when it's in the internal bay and sometimes in my enclosure.

4. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

I hate saying this... Do you have a PC or another Mac handy?

You could rule out the SSD by trying it in another computer.

5. johnnnw thread starter macrumors 65816

johnnnw

I do have a PC, I attached the SSD to it and ran a ssd health program (DriveDx is Mac only), while not ideal that it's a different program it said the drive was okay.

The problem is thats Windows, which the firmware may work great with, while not working on Mac.

I don't know what to think about this problem

6. johnnnw thread starter macrumors 65816

johnnnw

Apple store is refusing to replace the hard drive cable despite the fact that I showed him my SSD working with my external usb enclosure and then not working when in the internal bay.

My laptop is still freezing every 10 minutes for a second or two and then back to normal.

I am convinced that it's the hdd cable but since his "diagnostic testing" didn't show any result he won't replace it.

Don't know what to do now...