Just got my Tom Bihn Brain Cell (photos of custom sleeve)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 2high2aim, Jun 14, 2010.

1. 2high2aim macrumors 6502

So I have been trying out a bunch of sleeve but have been unsatisfied with them in one way or another.
    [​IMG]
    My first ipod touch and my old classic
    [​IMG]
    Switcheasy Rebel Touch Case (includes everything but the kitchen sink)

First of all again I will like to say this is my FIRST laptop and first mac. I bought the MBP 15 i7 4gb HR-AG and am really satisfied with it. After being enlightened by all the products available to apple products I wanted to try some of them out.
    [​IMG]

Personally the Incase sleeve was not for me. It was a great way to keep things protected from scratches and such but the slightest drop and I know my laptop will be dented or worse. But I knew that this wasnt going to protect my laptop from drops but I wanted some sort of solution where I can take a few (physical) files and perhaps a notepad and at least the charge with me. So I sold the encase sleeve. Originally purchased the black sleeve and than went to this brown one you see. At first I was didnt like the color combination but it soon grew onto me. This a a great sleeve for someone that just wants scratch protection. Here are some pictures...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Has a nice lip to protect against the zipper.

Than I was searching for another sleeve but ended up buying the Tom Bihn Horizontal Brain Cell with an Absolute Shoulder Strap. Which came to a total of $98 with shipping. I like the bag but it is on the big side but I am confident that my laptop will remain protected.

Before I show the pictures of the case. I was sitting in my room thinking about what I should do in the mean time to protect my laptop and so I got a microfiber towel (I'm a car guy and detail my own cars better than most :cool: and so I have a lot in stock) and stitched the sides together to create a temporary solution and here is what it looks like...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Surprisingly it protects quiet well for those of you on a budget from scratches and you can use the microfiber towel to clean the screen keyboard and other stuff. I used it in my padded laptop compartment.
    [​IMG]

Finally I came home to find my shipment on my doorsteps... the Brain cell has this place on the side where one can put charger, a few light files, or one magazine. So I will stick my charger in for now. Also the Absolute shoulder strap is so comfortable and really soft rubber padding.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. cloroxbleach4 macrumors 6502a

cloroxbleach4

3. 2high2aim thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks Its pretty cheap to make and offers the same protection as the overpriced company. I am not a cheap person if I think is a product is worth it I will buy it because I just like to receive my moneys worth. I spent about $100 for the Brain cell and it was totally worth it. But I have a few Ideas in my mind and once I get some free time...I will create them. Somehow I have been really interested in designing bags and stuff I know the microfiber is nothing special but I have plenty of innovative ideas which I will create soon enough.

4. Link2999 macrumors 6502

I chuckled at the towel, good idea though. I ordered a Tom Bihn Vertical Cache and a BBP Industries Backpack. Pretty excited to say the least.

5. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Do the Bihn bags still ship with 'treason tags'? Just wondering as my bag (an older one) did.

6. 2high2aim thread starter macrumors 6502

Whats wrong with the microfiber sleeve protective, thrifty, versatile and easily produced.

Also why did you choose the cache I think the corners would be exposed if not tucked in properly? I havent seen many reviews for it. Plus if your MBP slips out they should have put some sort of Velcro, button, clip to secure the flap down.

LOL what are the treason tags?

7. Siriosys macrumors regular

Siriosys

Nice sleeve, but I"m more taken in by that gorgeous Seasons wallpaper on your MBP!!

Sorry to bust in on this thread, but where did you get that from?

8. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

9. Link2999 macrumors 6502

I was saying the microfiber sleeve was a good idea, just struck me as a little funny when I saw it (come on, a towel for a sleeve xD). I chose the Cache because in my opinion, zippers are a no-no. Any metal, no matter how much they're protected from the computer, is just something that scares me and I can see them getting stuck. I only needed a sleeve to keep my MBP safe around the house. To keep it free of dust and pretty much any accidental scratches (like maybe if I drop a pen or something, paper clip, whatever, mainly to keep it safe from my Cat's back claws). If I need to carry it around on a trip or across town or campus or something, I'll just use the BBP backpack.

10. 2high2aim thread starter macrumors 6502

Wow, pretty funny kind of like the Disney movies with reference to sex and such. But no the current ones do not have it perhaps due to a change in the administration.

Well I hope you know that the title "towel" is given to anything but the "fabric" remains the same...so it is microfiber and the towel is a premium quality in the automotive world. People have seen microfiber uses all over the place and its an extremely effective cleaning material. Sorry just a little rant about how great microfibers are.

11. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

Nice idea with the microfiber, any chance you have the dimensions to make it?

12. 2high2aim thread starter macrumors 6502

Honestly I just Eye-Balled it but if you want the specific dimensions... slightly less than 16 (15.8) inches by 24 inches (which is long enough to have a slight flap. You can add Velcro on whatever else you want to do to it. Its easy and also a great way to just have the microfiber towel around.

13. 01jamcon macrumors 6502a

01jamcon

+1!!!

Obviously if its the OP's own creation or something, then that's fine, but if its on a webpage somewhere, could we please please get a link, really want that as a wallpaper now.

14. 2high2aim thread starter macrumors 6502

sorry but photo bucket re-sizes the photo to lower res.

[​IMG]

15. 01jamcon macrumors 6502a

01jamcon

16. 2high2aim thread starter macrumors 6502

wow, found a new use for the microfiber sleeve today I was in class and my wrists were in pain lol (i know proper typing position but I like my way) so I just got the microfiber sleeve sitting on the bottom and curved it up and rested it between my wrists and the MBP worked like a charm and I was emo free

17. EstrlM3 macrumors 6502

where can i find that background in different resolutions?

18. Ann P macrumors 68020