just got off an hour long convo with apple rep: my 2 cents on the 4850

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Theraker007, Apr 28, 2009.

1. Theraker007 macrumors regular

to cut out all of the tedious garbage.. she sent me this program which ran a different kind of engineering diagnostic on my computer which then created a dmg file that i sent back to her.

she said the file showed a tremendous amount of conflicts in two programs:

1) Safari
    2) DIVX Codec

now i dont know what to make of this and neither did she and she is sending it to the engineering department to see if they find anything. She made no admission that there is a widespread problem though which kind of annoyed me though.

but i did find it interesting that there were so many conflicts in those two programs, ive never had an isolated safari crash or bug report from safari.. but im pretty sure safari has ALWAYS been open during my crashes.

anyway, make of it what you will

2. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Well, It does sound like they're at least trying to isolate the problem. It may (probably will) take some time to debug. Hang in there…

3. Theraker007 thread starter macrumors regular

oh yeah she also told me she wants me to clean install mac os.. so i gotta start backing all m stuff up on CDs.

im just annoyed im gonna lose my fusion and windows vista (legal) serial keys.. i hope thy work again for a second time

4. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

There's a program that can determine conflicts between programs? First I've heard of it or it's not from Apple and if it's not from Apple, the information is applicable as far as the user (think iStat, Coconut Battery). Also, that really doesn't determine anything. I'm pretty sure some users don't have DivX installed. From what has been discussed in the forum, it looks like it has something to do with AirPort. I can't tell you if it is or isn't because Apple hasn't said anything on it. I guess give the agent some credit as she "tried" to solve the problem (even if it isn't repairable at this time) but Apple should know this and release a small internal document stating it is a known issue so we can tell the customers rather then doing pointless troubleshooting.

5. avihappy macrumors 6502

avihappy

I don't have any codecs installed yet (let alone DIVX), and I still get freezes.

6. acron1 macrumors regular

acron1

I believe that you can image the VM "drive" so you don't have to reinstall Vista all over again. Just copy the image after the clean install of OS X, install VMware and point it to the copied image.
    Good luck:)

7. BlackMax macrumors 6502a

BlackMax

Is there a EULA with this utility she sent you? I'm wondering if you could legally make it available on MacRumors so we could have a peek at it? :D

I'd like to run it on my older Mac just to see what it reports.

8. GonzoRob macrumors 6502

GonzoRob

I got sent the same program... it just dumps all your log files/system info to a DMG drive

yes, i think there is an EULA ;)

9. Theraker007 thread starter macrumors regular

10. Headliner macrumors newbie

Yeah i had a browse through what it dumps.. everything can be found via terminal commands / console logs. And yeah there it is a EULA ;)

11. snouo79 macrumors newbie

I don't think that software conflicts are the problem. My first iMac 4850 freezed just 5 min after the FIRST boot!

So...if it's a software issue...maybe came directly from Apple...but I don't think so..

Fabio

12. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

You won't lose this. Just backup the VM to an external disk and copy it back on later. Make sure to say it was moved, not copied when you use it the first time. This is one of the benefits of using VMware instead of bootcamp. The entire Windows install is just a file.

Cheers,

13. bumzo1 macrumors 6502a

for once I am glad I went with nVidia. It seems every other thread is titled "4850 problems". thanks to that 4 week waiting period for the ati that I couldn't wait for, I have a perfect iMac. Good luck to those who now have to bite the bullet.