Just got off the phone with AT&T and confirmed you WILL lose your unlimited data plan

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by g8orballboy, Jun 11, 2010.

1. g8orballboy macrumors regular

...if you sell your iPhone early and pop your sim in a non iPhone phone. The system automatically removes your data plan and if you try to add it back on, you'll be stuck with 2gig/$25 a month plan :-(....this sucks because I have an offer but need to have them wait until after launch....hopefully they're willing! :mad:

2. cgrier macrumors member

i called AT&T a few days after my wife and i both sold our phones and put our sims in go phones and they said our iPhone Data plans WERE still there....

3. elephunkman macrumors 65816

Been using a gophone before WWDC and my data plan is still active.

4. D3LM3L macrumors regular

D3LM3L

You can call them back and they'll reenable the unlimited data plan.

5. L3MON macrumors member

yeah I broke my 3GS about a month ago, and I called to see if I could have my data plan removed for the 2 months or so that I would be without my iPhone, and they refused to do it and also said I would need a new IMEI number for my p.o.s phone that I got till the iPhone 4 comes out...I'm on a family plan also, and I don't thnk our account has had any changes made to it even though I called to request my data plan be temporarily dropped for my line...oh well, only a few more weeks left to wait :D I wouldn't worry about it since it was difficult for me to even beg at&t to drop my data plan..

6. I HAVE IPHONE macrumors newbie

I HAVE IPHONE

Why the hell would AT&T automatically remove a $30 charge for you?

Maybe I'm wrong but never in my life have I seen a cell phone company remove stuff off your plan without asking.

7. g8orballboy thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, so the AT&T guy was wrong? He knew the answer pretty quick and was pretty firm in his response....with this and the whole eligibility crap, can AT&T be any LESS knowledgable about their own service?????

8. ajones46 macrumors 6502

LOL True. But they'll make more money off the capped plans.

9. CJayC macrumors 6502

AT&T knows less about their service than we do.

10. Craiger macrumors 6502a

Craiger

That's what my trusty Iphone 2G is for. I sold my 3gs two weeks ago and just popped my sim into my old 2g. But on a serious note, I doubt att would mind if you added the iphone data and paid them the 30 dollars for it until you get an iphone again.

11. millerb7 macrumors 6502a

calling and asking now.... let ya know what I get from them.

12. g8orballboy thread starter macrumors regular

Yeh, I think they're looking for any reason to get people off of the unlimited plan, which is why I'm nervous and wanted to call and confirm... Anyone else have any insight? Should I just assume the guy was wrong and ignore him? I don't want to loose my unlimited plan...2gigs/month is NOT enough for me!

13. oldschooldude macrumors regular

AMEN, DUDE!

14. g8orballboy thread starter macrumors regular

THANKS!!!

15. RonHC macrumors 6502a

RonHC

Well in there case, if they see the person has a different cell phone and see theres an iPhone plan, then they will have to remove it automatically

16. christyn macrumors 6502a

Some people are losing their data, some people aren't.

It's hit or miss, just depends on whether you're willing to gamble with it, I've already had a friend who not only lost her data plan, but they also took away her upgrade since she's no longer an iPhone user in AT&T's eyes.

I personally will go all 1990's with no cell phone until the 24th to be on the safe side.

17. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Obviously the OP hasn't dealt with cell phone reps.

18. g8orballboy thread starter macrumors regular

I may do the same, is there a way to forward your cell calls from your iPhone number to another?

19. millerb7 macrumors 6502a

wow... well per "Kevin" at AT&T corporate they WILL drop your unlimited data plan if you put the sim into another phone.

He told me that if they hadn't done it yet, they do periodic checks (wouldn't give me any time of time frame) on the phone plans on accounts, and when they notice it, they drop you off since you don't need it any longer.

He then told me if this happens, you CANNOT get the unlimited plan back. No if, and, or buts... just not gonna get it back.

Anyways, that's what I got when I just called 30 seconds ago.

20. christyn macrumors 6502a

hmm not sure on that. I'm using google voice to have all my calls routed to my office and home until then.

21. saccento macrumors 6502a

saccento

then in this case could we still get early upgrades if we have one in 2010?

22. g8orballboy thread starter macrumors regular

Sounds like the convo I had...and lord knows they'll do one last global check right before the iPhone 4 comes out....freakin AT&T

23. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

Want to keep or get an unlimited data plan even after June 7th?

• Grab an old iPhone 2G.
    • Put your SIM card in it.
    • Restore iPhone.
    • Activate iPhone on iTunes with the $20 unlimited 2G data plan + 200 texts.
    • Hang out with iPhone 2G until the 24th when your iPhone 4 comes in.

If you don't want to use your iPhone 2G or just borrowed one to get the plan back on:
    • Go to Phone options and forward your calls to another number.
    • Pull out SIM card, leave in drawer.
    • Give iPhone back.
    • Tell people not to text you until the 24th when you activate your new iPhone 4.

When you activate your iPhone 4, you'll have the option to choose the $15 DataPlus, $25 DataPro, or the grandfathered $30 unlimited data plan.

Have a nice day.

24. PLin macrumors 6502

I called yesterday to ask the same question, and I was told that if I use a regular phone for a few weeks, I wouldn't lose my unlimited data plan unless I called to give them the IMEI number of the regular phone and asked them to remove the plan. She said that the plan would not be removed if I don't call them, but I would obviously have to keep paying for something that I'm not using.

25. g8orballboy thread starter macrumors regular

Ha, never noticed the call forwarding option...two questions....is it free? And how do I turn it off when I get the new phone?