Just got off the phone with ATT. Not sure what to expect

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by macguy360, Oct 10, 2011.

1. macguy360 macrumors 6502a

So I just called ATT because of my previous issue with the preorder hold being released from hold. Here is the information they gave me. I am not sure if I should take this with a grain of salt as some other people have said that you cannot always believe 100% what the phone reps say.

As far as the preorder hold released. They only do a hold to verify that you have the funds. The charge will come through when the iPhone ships.

As far as when the iPhone will ship. The ATT rep stated and I quote "We (ATT) will allow the shipping company to release the iPhones for shipment on October 14th. It could take anywhere from 1 to 2 business days for delivery"

So I asked him does that mean I will not get the iPhone on the 14th and he said there's a chance it will take 1 to 2 business days basically repeating what he originally said.

I think this is phrase management has passed down to the reps to tell everyone in order to cover ATT's back on the off chance people don't get their phones but now I am a little concerned that even though I ordered at 12:45A.M. pacific time on October 7th I might not actually get the phone until monday or tuesday because of how ATT is handling this.

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Lets says you don't get it until next week, whats the problem?

So you have to wait an extra day or two, you're still going to get it. Last year I chose not to purchase my iPhone 4 until a month after it was released, my world didn't end because I waited a month.

3. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

This

If you call back 3 times you'll likely get 3 different answers.

4. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

Why did you preorder it? You should of just walked in a store on launch day and bought one. They arent going to sell out. Not this phone.

5. macguy360 thread starter macrumors 6502a

1 million preorders in 24 hours says otherwise. I would expect there is going to be lines and ridiculousness just like every other release.

6. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Maybe, maybe not. The only thing I can say for sure is that the process is well under way, and nothing you do now and no calls you make at this stage will get you a phone any sooner than it's going to arrive anyway.

Relax, take a walk, enjoy your week. Your phone will arrive in due course.

7. tivoboy macrumors 68030

yeah

Yeah, I had to order over the phone and it appears that may have screwed me.

regular online checks, status, order status, my account orders etc., show NOTHING. I can't get updates by calling in to the regular number I have to call a SPECIAL number (this is from having ordered at 611) and even then they can BARELY see the order, but have no details.

I received the "agree to these new T&C's" email, and did that friday, but nothing since then has been received.

My credit card HAS been charged the full amount AT&T rep says "well, that a GOOD sign", but they don't have any info about the order.

My online line eligibility still shows, you are ELIGIBLE for an upgrade, which doesn't seem to be a good sign, but the AT&T reps don't think that is an issue.

My bet is, I probably will NOT be getting the phone on Friday.

8. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

Just means there are 1 million people too lazy to go to the store and then want to complain that they may get it a couple days later than they thought.
    I have no doubt that this phone you can walk in on launch day and buy one. It isnt going to sell out and you could just go to the store and get one.

9. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

I disagree.

Even if they don't sell out there will likely be lines and wait time. Why wait if you have other options and things to do?

10. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Yup,

no one ever waits in line at the Apple Store :rolleyes:

These lines are for "Buy a Mac, get a Free Taco" day at Apple.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

You know, I felt the same way about the iPad 2. I had to wait several WEEKS after launch day to get mine.... :(

12. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Oh I would not say that. I would say that it seems to really matter to people if they don't get their phone on the 14th. The question is, if they knew they'd get it between the 14th and 21st would they still pre-order?

There is so much "concern" and alarm and it's only the 10th. I pre-ordered because similar to many, it took me a long time to find an iPad when I finally decided I wanted it. While I'm not excited for the iPhone yet, I know I would be excited and it would have been another headache to find one.

13. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

You're joking, right?

14. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

Most reps at ATT (or any company) tell you what they think, not what is actually going to happen. I've worked with people a long time, this is always the case. And they rarely listen when you try to tell them "how it is" so they can better serve the customer.

Anyway, chances are they had no clue and you will get your phone Friday. But even if you don't get it until monday or tuesday next week- dude you're still one of the lucky ones. OVER A MILLION PREORDERS and what are sure to be lines that fill the entire floor of the mall and you are guaranteed to have one.

I understand the frustration of not getting it shipped when you expect, but I would rather wait another 2 or 3 days then stand in line all day (or more).

15. Vegastouch, Oct 10, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2011

Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

C-mon, you guys are ridiculous. Im talking about THIS phone. Not the iPad, not the launch of the first iPhone or the 3G . I dont think there will be huge lines everywhere for this phone. Lines sure but not like you see there with your picture of the first iPhone and dont think they will sell out.

16. truthiness macrumors regular

Or a million smart people who don't want to waste their valuable time waiting in a line in a mall all day.

17. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

Again, im not talking about showing up when the store opens. Show up when the lines go down. They arent going to sell out. This phone will have its regular Apple fanatics getting it but it isnt the wow factor the previous ones had.

Telling me how crowded it was when the iPad came out and it was sold out means nothing. This isnt an iPad Launch. It is for a phone that looks identical to the last one, has the same screen size but is faster. People arent as excited about it as before.

Here you could of walked in the store after the crowds went down on the launch of iP4 and bought one.

18. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

THIS!

I get the excitement. I got my first iPhone in i-Day, got my first iPad on launch day, but after a while you figured, what's a couple extra days/weeks? For the iPad 2, I decided to head on over the afternoon of the launch. I was looking specifically for a 64GB AT&T model. I had to wait six weeks before I found two at a Best Buy. During those six weeks it was like an Easter Egg hunt.

Now I am just too busy to care. My Verizon Thunderbolts work fine. They will last a little longer while I get my paws on the new iPhones. But waiting in line all day at the mall? Meh, not this guy, not anymore. :rolleyes:

19. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Last year Apple announced that in the first 24 hours they had 600,000 pre-ordered units, and it took them 3 days to sell 1.7 million units of the iPhone 4, this year they have already announce 1 million units pre-ordered in the first 24 hrs for the iPhone 4S.

Yes, THIS phone will outsell the iPhone 4.

20. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

I'll say it again.

ONE MILLION preorders.

There will be lines on Launch day.

They will sell out.

21. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

If you say so. Didnt sell out here last year. Im sure if i wanted i could walk in a Verizon, Sprint, Best Buy or AT&T store and get one later in the day.

22. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Good luck with that.

23. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

Im sure it will be no problem like last year. Maybe ill post a picture if i go in, but im not going to buy one so its a waste of my time to prove a point.

24. tejasm macrumors newbie

You, my sir, are living in an alternative universe. Best of luck with that.

25. tivoboy macrumors 68030

shipping

So, just got a hold of someone at AT&T, mind you there is NO information for me online, phone order status doesn't work, etc.

they SHOW my order, but said that there most likely won't be any information TILL the 14th, since that is the earliest this order will ship.

Who knows, man if they didn't have me I would jump in a heartbeat.