just got out of t-mobile with no ETF and had my phone unlocked

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by huskerwr38, Jul 16, 2008.

1. huskerwr38 macrumors member

I just got out of my T-Mobile contract with no ETF and I said since I will be changing service providers can you unlock my blackberry phone, which I will be selling for a nice price to pay for my iphone 3G. The CSR was very nice and pretty much did everything I asked without much hassle. She had me on hold a few times, and gave me some very good options, but I WANT THE NEW IPHONE!

Btw, can you use the GPS without a data plan?

2. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

The GPS uses cell tower information (hence the Assisted part) so while I assume it is completely possible, you're still going to rack up data charges.

Are in the US? If you are, then good luck getting out the door without a data plan in tow.

3. huskerwr38 thread starter macrumors member

I've heard of people walking out and then calling AT&T to cancel the data plan. Also one more question about wifi, can you use wifi for free in your own home?

4. csupinski macrumors member

csupinski

How did you manage to get out of your contract without an early termination fee? I just paid them $200 yesterday.

I saw how by them raising the text messaging rates that I could have canceled early without penalty but that would have worked only if I did it by June 15th.

5. huskerwr38 thread starter macrumors member

I don't have a text messaging plan, so I had text overages every month. She goes, since you've had texting overages, we will wave the ETF. Did you have a text messaging plan and overages? I've heard that if you had unlimited texting they won't waive the ETF.

6. Cusipz macrumors newbie

That's exactly how I got out of my Tmo contract. If you paid for a txt message at the old rate within 90 days, you can get out of the contract with no fee.

7. showtime macrumors 6502

It won't work if you have unlimited text but, like others have said, if you've been charged for a text message for going over, you can cancel your t-mobile contract without an ETF because of the change in your contract.

8. mhnajjar macrumors 6502a

mhnajjar

What is the deal guys? I am lost :confused:

I already have an old gen iphone which I have had for a year now but I would like to upgrade without having to have a data plan since I only use my phone on my wifi.

What should I do?

If I upgrade and then cancel, AT&T would cancel my line!

I do not want the two year contract because I am moving out of the US in 18 months.

Thanks for your hlep.

9. showtime macrumors 6502

The no ETF for text is just for t-mobile customers. There doesn't seem to be a way to get out of an at&t contract at the moment.

10. csupinski macrumors member

csupinski

Here is my situation:

1. I've already canceled my contract and paid the $200.
    2. I had the $9.99 1500 txt message plan.
    3. I never went over my messaging and therefore never was charged per txt.

Does anyone know with this criteria if I could call them back and get my $200 back?

11. MV ROB macrumors member

Last time I checked if you move out of a providers coverage you can cancel without any fees. I used to sell ATT and Tmobile and did this a few times. All you have to do is show proof of your move. I lived near a major military base and did this plenty of times for the service men and women going overseas

12. huskerwr38 thread starter macrumors member

This will not qualify you since you never went over your txt messages and never chargd overages on txts. So it won't work.