just got out of the movies

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Technodynamic, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Technodynamic macrumors 6502

Technodynamic

how's the whole raise to view thing going to work in the movie theater? movie mode?

2. extricated macrumors 6502

extricated

Haha. Good point.
    Maybe (depending on watch face) it won't be much brighter than a normal wristwatch. Notifications however ... hmmm?

3. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Why would you raise your wrist anyway? The movie is boring you and you're checking the time to see when it'll end?

4. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

Same as the iPhone: Do Not Disturb.

[​IMG]

5. Technodynamic thread starter macrumors 6502

Technodynamic

raise your wrist to eat 500 pieces of popcorn for starters. that wasn't hard to imagine now was it.

6. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I'd think the Apple Watch is smarter than that and will raise to view only based on certain angles (using the gyroscope and accelerometer). It's going to ignore anything you do palm up, such as eating.

7. fousfous macrumors regular

8. F apple FE, Feb 18, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2015

F apple FE macrumors newbie

Android Wear already has 3 solutions to that (they do different things and are suited for slightly different scenarios) so Apple will copy at least some of those: "Theater mode" (especially designed for your specific scenario, as the name clearly shows) from the swipe down shade, notification disabling (also from the swipe down shade) and you can always, easily and quickly disable only the raise-to-view feature from the companion app (I have this always OFF and BTW I keep Ambient Display always ON, my LG G Watch easily lasts AT LEAST 24h of heavy use and 2 days of average use). I have never run out of battery even on 36 hour long travels of medium to heavy use (and that's with the display always ON...).

9. Bane-Thunder macrumors regular

Simple answer, you eat popcorn with the hand your watch is not on.

I plan to have my watch on my left arm and I'm right handed so I eat my popcorn with my right hand.

10. bbeagle macrumors 68040

bbeagle

When you go to a movie with your cell phone, don't you put it into silent mode?

The same thing with the watch, they'll be a mode you'll put it into.

11. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

It'll most likely have a quick way to disable the raise to view feature.

12. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

I love the always on ambient display on my LG G Watch R. Is the Apple Watch going to have a same feature? It's really nice to have the time showing at all times and then when you raise it up the display comes to life.

13. F apple FE macrumors newbie

I don't know but if they are really having this big battery problem even if it has an Ambient Mode option you would probably want to keep it off...

Look at the Moto 360, the only Android Wear smartwatch with battery life problems.. the best way to squeeze a day of use out of it is keeping the Ambient Mode off.

14. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

If you raise your wrist when there are no new notifications, it'll show default watch face, which will not be very bright because there's little on the screen. Lots of watches do this now.

As for notifications, you control them as you would your iPhone when going to the movies.

Using the Watch to tell you a call is coming in will solve the current problem of phones buzzing loudly as the Watch will give you a silent vibration.

15. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

I brought up the same question months ago.

I think that as wearables get more common, we will see them getting more rules attached, just as happened with smartphones. For examples:

- Movie and broadway theatres will add warnings to put your watch in theatre mode.

- Teachers will begin to make students take their watches off during tests. Especially Apple Watches, with their little instant drawing and tapping apps that make sharing answers easy.

- People will learn that a glance at a wrist does not mean the person is a hurry, but instead that they might simply be getting a notification.

16. matrix07, Feb 18, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2015

matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

Uses your other hand perhaps? Do people have favourite hand for popcorn or what?

17. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

If you are sharing a tub with someone else, and that person is sitting on the side you are wearing your watch, you'll have to use that hand/arm.

18. bbeagle macrumors 68040

bbeagle

The watch probably has an ambient light sensor, like the iPhone. So in dark theatres, the watch would show notifications very dimly. If the vibration was really so silent that only the person with the watch could 'hear/feel' it, then there would be no need for 'theatre mode' then.

19. F apple FE macrumors newbie

However dim, in a dark teather you WILL notice the light.
    That's why a "Teather mode" a la Android Wear is needed.

Anyway, read recently on the WSJ that the Apple Watch would have the display off by default (like I speculated few replies above) because of battery life problems. If really so, another HUGE negative for that smartwatch (that would be a straight up deal killer to me)...

20. bbeagle macrumors 68040

bbeagle

That's normal for EVERY smart watch. The displays are ALWAYS off to save battery.

21. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Most Android Wear watches default to an always-on low power mode, where after a delay, the screen goes black and just displays the time in white.

And my 2011 WiMM smartwatch had a dual mode LCD with color when active, and transflective B&W when not in use. This made it easily visible in sunlight.

In both cases, the time is always visible, so you don't have to sometimes do crazy contortions just to check the time. (Anyone who's had a watch that turns on only when you make the right move, knows what I'm talking about. From recent reports, Apple's will be no different.)

22. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

Source?

Again, this is a pretty easy thing to deal with.

23. F apple FE macrumors newbie

I can't fathom how people manage to speak in so absolute terms about something they clearly know nothing about...

In this very thread I (and others) have written about how Android Wear smartwatches (and BTW, Tizen ones too) have ALWAYS ON displays and that is, in fact, their DEFAULT behavior (AFAIK the only exception is the Moto 360 which has to deal, this way, with its poor battery life... exactly like it seems the Apple Watch will have to do as well).

On Android Wear you can set everything exactly the way you like and decide for example to turn only this feature off and get even more battery life, you can disable the raise-to-wake, you can disable notifications, you can enable Teather Mode (which is a combination of all of the aforementioned) and still more, but the DEFAULT behaviour which they ship with is ALWAYS ON display mode.

Like I have written, with the display always ON, my LG G Watch easily lasts AT THE VERY LEAST 24 hours of heavy use and 2 days of average use. I have never run out of battery even on 36 hour long travels of medium to heavy use (and that too is with the display always ON...).

I get lots of notifications and use a lot Google Keep (one of the killer apps for a smartwatch, for me) and Google Now on it, I have lots on apps on it, some of whom I use very often (including audio recorder, torch, calculator, calendar, map view and widget toggles), heck I even have a file manager, an image viewer and a browser!

24. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

That sounds cool and all, but the LG G watch is really ugly. So I mean, I'll take my daily charging.

25. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan