Just got the camera connection kit, but i am confused on importing videos?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by maf2k8, Mar 16, 2011.

1. maf2k8 macrumors 6502

Ok so i bought the camera connection kit once again for my iPad 2, This time, i am going to keep it until i can find out what and how to do what i need it to do.

I plan on buying a new digital camera ( my old one is due for a upgrade ) and i really want one that has a SD card, so that i can easily pop out the card and plug it into the iPad 2 and import Photos and Videos.

Now i have a Sony HD camcorder that uses a SD card, i took photos with it and they import fine. I recorded HD video and also set it to record SD video ( different formats ) and neither of the 2 videos showed up on the iPad.

I then took the SD card out, put it into my iMac, and dragged over 3 different video files. .avi, .mov., .mpg ( 3 minute clips i pulled from the net ) just to "test" and see what formats this thing will import..and once again...nothing!

So i took a test video with my iPhone 4, plugged it in with the USB cable this time and it imported the video fine. My iphone videos are .mov format...So why didnt the .mov file that i downloaded ( a quick sample off the net ) not import?

Pretty much, i am trying to figure out which digital camera will work with the iPad and import both pics and vids without any need to re-encode them. I just want them to simply import and be able to watch ( like how the iPhone 4 video did )

Could anyone help me out with this one? or know which cameras work? or what format i am suppose to be looking for?

2. RadicalxEdward macrumors 6502

RadicalxEdward

There are different codec profiles for mpeg video. The iPad only supports those that it can play back, so anything that doesn't record to that format won't show up. I haven't seen a compatibility list anywhere though.

3. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

Pretty sure the only two types of video Apple allows for the Camera Connection Kit are QuickTime H.264 and Motion JPEG. If your camera doesn't support recording as either of those you are screwed. In general if after messing with the recording settings, retrying the SD card with your iPad, and you still can't get it to work, then you are pretty much screwed. Just get your money back if you aren't happy.