Just got the iPhone 4S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by burgmayne, Aug 13, 2013.

1. burgmayne macrumors newbie

Hey guys, i just purchased the iPhone 4S and i feel as if i made a mistake with the new iPhone 5S/5C coming out very soon. I feel as if the 4S would be very slow/feel outdated by the end of my 2 year contract. I'm thinking about trading it back in for the Galaxy S4, only because of the fact that i wouldn't have to pay anything for it and it is much newer. What would you do? :confused:

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I personally would have purchased a 4S with apple about to announce the 5S in a month. That's just me :)

3. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Trade it in for either the iPhone 5, or return it and go back to using whatever you were using before until the 5S comes out.

4. kenetic macrumors regular

Get the Galaxy 4 and wait for the 5C to come out. 4s is a bit slow, but not too bad.

5. cynics macrumors G3

Given the choice I'd had gone with the S4.

The 4S will be outdated at the end of your 2 year contract. However depending on how you use your phone that may not be a big deal.

6. Mrbobb macrumors 601

U people (like OP) even have a personal preference?

Always looking for greener pastures on the side of the fence is a crazy way to live.

7. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

I would NEVER have used an available upgrade on a 4s. No way, no how.

8. IFRIT macrumors 6502a

If you can get a S4 for free and are comfortable with Android then i would get that, no idea why you got the 4S to begin with though.

9. macmastersam macrumors 6502a

If you use your iPhone for messaging, phoning, Internet, email and social networking then you should be fine with your 4S. When you get into intensive gaming and have 60+ apps that's where you should upgrade IMO.

-Sam

10. Dontazemebro macrumors 68020

Dontazemebro

The 4s is slower than molasses especially on iOS 6. Might as well get the s4 and then either sell it to get the 5c or just end up keeping it. Of course pending if you like android or not. Personally I think the galaxy s4 runs laps around the iPhone 5 but that's just my take.

11. bp1000 macrumors 65816

Send it back and use what you had before.

4s is great, I don't find it that much slower than my 5 really. It's a bit heavier but I bet you as ios7 and ios8 evolve it will become more sluggish as ios7 evolves towards newer hardware. Just like ios5 began to run jerky on my 3GS.

12. RoboWarriorSr macrumors 6502a

My 4S is definitely not slow in iOS 6, something must be wrong with your device. You should make an appointment with Apple and see if there's anything wrong.

13. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. My 4S ran fine in iOS 6. That said, I wouldn't buy one now.

14. Dontazemebro macrumors 68020

Dontazemebro

No biggie, I already have a galaxy s4 and the 4s is just my backup device or whenever I get that itch for iOS only apps.

15. Dented macrumors 6502a

The 4S is not slow at all and runs iOS 6 perfectly; I've actually just upgraded from a 4S to a 5 and to be honest there's very little if any speed difference in most cases. From what I hear from the many beta testers running iOS 7 on the 4S, it runs that just fine too.

I like my 5 very much, and it is an improvement (not least because I went from 16 to 64GB) but I still have a soft spot for the 4S - it's certainly the more solidly built of the pair, although of course heavier with it.

I wouldn't swap it for an S4 personally. Unless you're desperate for the bigger screen or LTE, the 4S is the much better phone IMO.

16. Troneas macrumors 65816

Troneas

oh no! what have you done?

i could understand you chosing the iphone 4S over the 5 but not when a new iphone is to be announced next month!!

the 4S is a great phone but its a two year old device...

17. joeblow7777 macrumors 68040

People worry way too much about having the newest device. I'm using a 3Gs. I'll probably upgrade in the fall, but most likely to a 5 rather than a 5s. It all depends on what you actually use it for, and I suspect that a 4s will still be able to meet most people's needs even 2 years from now.

18. IFRIT macrumors 6502a

The only possible thing the 4 has over the the S4 is maybe the materials used, everything else about is S4 is far better then the 4S or down to preference..

19. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68030

ET iPhone Home

Return it and get a credit voucher for the 5S, because we all know there wont be a 6. I'm really sad about that.

20. jaenicky macrumors member

Dude 4s is already outdated. Should have got iPhone 5 or S4.

21. imurdaddy macrumors member

Hate to say it...but technically your 5 is outdated as well...Sheesh...

22. cynics macrumors G3

I wouldn't say the 4S is "slow" but its certainly not as fast as it was on iOS 5.

I find the 4S doesn't deal very well with extremely large group messages either. The messaging app will hang from time to time. We notice this throughout my company. But its not uncommon for me to get 600-800 text messages a day.

23. Dented macrumors 6502a

Well there's no maybe about it, the materials and overall build quality is far superior on the 4S. It's also smaller which is still a plus point for some, and it runs iOS and fits into the Apple ecosystem, which is another plus point.

I don't doubt the S4 is better on paper but in real world usage the differences are a lot more subjective. I've yet to see anything about the S4 that would compel me to drop a 4S for it.

24. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

would you buy a 3Gs in 2013? If so, you're different.

25. joeblow7777 macrumors 68040

Actually I only got my 3GS two years ago, so that's exactly the same as buying a 4s now, which is what the OP is worried about. No, I wouldn't buy a 3GS today, but that's hardly the same thing. A 3GS won't even run iOS7. A 4s will. Saying it's silly to worry about having the newest tech all the time isn't the same as saying there's no such thing as out of date tech.

For the record, if I'm not impressed with the 5s or there's not a decent price cut on the 5, I'll be using my 3GS for another year.