Just got the shadiest offer for a 2009 Macbook, should I go look at it? CHEAP!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by arctyler, Aug 21, 2013.

1. arctyler macrumors regular

Someone just messaged me with a macbook, all white, few scratches on the bottom of it, and told me to come and get it for $100 bucks or any reasonable offer, only problem is that they don't have a charger, so they can't turn it on, and they don't know the specs, so its probably stolen, but yet they said they paid 150 for it on craigslist, but cant turn it on without a charger, actually they just messaged me telling me they will take $50 bucks, WOW, I am not sure if i should risk it or not, I don't have a charger either but I'm messaging around and trying to find one, but should I atleast go look at it? Its in a not so good section of the city, what do you guys think?

2. adnbek macrumors 65816

adnbek

I think the first part of your thread title says it all.

3. anonnymouse macrumors regular

Do you live in a city with an Apple Store? Make a Genius Bar appointment and meet them there. Otherwise, pass.

4. scbond macrumors 6502

Not sure how no charger and unknown specs instantly means it's stolen...the price they want for it indicates that it's stolen more.

5. arctyler thread starter macrumors regular

There is but its like 40 minutes away.....

6. arctyler, Aug 21, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2013

arctyler thread starter macrumors regular

Should I go look at it anyway? If they have the password, and it all works, and they can show me that everything works on it, then should I buy it? this is after I get a charger on the way there... probably stop at walmart and pick one up on the way there

EDIT: holy **** nevermind, chargers are expensive as hell!! Im going to try to borrow one from someone.

7. dylin macrumors 6502a

dylin

All i can say is if its for 50 dollars, meet them somewhere public to make the trade.

8. raptor402 macrumors 6502

Hey,

The shadiest part seems to be that he's willing to sell it for $50 without even trying to get it working when he claims to have paid $150 for it.

Still, dylin is right: for $50, it might be worth just for the parts. However, if it's something unethical, you might not want to get involved in it.

Regards
    Raptor

9. arctyler thread starter macrumors regular

LOL! I paid 15 bucks for it, and I talked to a state trooper about it before I went there, he said just call ANY local or state police station and they will run it for you, anyway i tried it, it didn't work, so I told him, you cant do anything with it sitting around, ill give you 15 bucks for it, so he took it, I brought it right to the state trooper barracks, he told me he cant run it because the serial number is not on the case, so when i got home I removed the back, its a late 2009 model, and got the serial number, called up the local police department, they put my on hold for 5 minutes, finally they told me they cant run the serial number and gave me another number and said they will run it for me, so called that number, and they said they won't do it for the public, then I told him the other number said that they would, then he started asking me about who i spoke to, seeing if it was the staff Sargent, I told him no, so he said he wouldnt run it, so I hung up on them.... Didnt bother calling the state police station yet, but I must say, Troy, NY police station is a bunch of fat donut eating pigs, and don't do anything they get paid for, so if its stolen, not my fault they didnt want to run the serial for me, and one of my buddies works for them and he also said the station would run the serial, so moral of the story, if you live anywhere around Troy, NY dont bother asking the police station to run any serial numbers for you....
    ANYWAYS though I'm getting it looked at tomorrow to see what is wrong with it. Hopefully it will be a cheap fix.