Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jetlagged

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 6, 2012
i currently own an iphone 5 with verizon. i've had this phone for 2 years now.
i'm considering upgrading to an iphone 5s or perhaps the iphone 6 (4.7")

the only reason why i would upgrade personally is the improved camera/video quality over the iphone 5. but i'm wondering, just how much better is the picture/video quality of the iphone 5s or 6 over the iphone 5?

i recently traveled to alaska on a cruise with family. i shot all my videos and pictures with my iphone 5 since i didn't have a camera at the time. but i'll soon be buying either the sony rx100m3 or the recently released canon g7x.

now is it worth it to upgrade to the iphone 5s or iphone 6 just for the picture/video quality alone, or is the image quality good enough for the iphone 5? my opinion is that, I should just stick with the iphone 5.

any thoughts and opinion are appreciated.

stonyboys

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2012
There are probably 100 different comparisons online that will let you see for yourself. Try google.

ryankul

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2014
Michigan
There are probably 100 different comparisons online that will let you see for yourself. Try google.

Why even waste your time with a reply like that? Just don't bother posting.. Now on to the question.

I've used the 4,4S, 5 and now currently the 6. Ever since the 5 I have never really had issues getting good photos with these phones. Keep in mind there is more to it then just the hardware. Focusing, keeping steady for the shot, framing and more. The 6 still photos have been quite good for me. I have noticed recording hd video to be the most improved though. I have had no issues selling some of my photos from the 6 on micro stock sites.

I suggest taking a look at this
http://www.phonearena.com/reviews/Camera-comparison-Samsung-Galaxy-Note-4-vs-iPhone-6-iPhone-6-Plus-Sony-Xperia-Z3-LG-G3-Galaxy-S5-Galaxy-Note-3_id3822

betabeta

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2013
I have the 5, 5s, and now 6+

They all take great pictures and each to me has it's strengths and weakness.

The one thing that has me amazed, I use to have to take a few pictures to get one in focus the way I want, the new 6+ with the stabilization almost always gives me great focus! no real need to hit the dang screen and it's faster at focusing too.

The only issue I have and may just be mine, it seems to be over processing the image, trying to smooth too much. The hood of my car in the shadow had a strange oil painting look, the one with my 5s was just grainy, I kinda like it with grain and not so processed and smoothed out.

Video is better on the 6+, focusing etc.. I do find handling the larger phone a little unwieldy, the 5s is so compact I find it easier to take video with.

I still like both the 5s due to the size, I like my 6+ but a little big.

I think you will love the 6 for video and photos, you should end up getting better shots since the focusing is so fast, the video too, better focusing...with the 5 you will find it much slower at focusing.

I really think you would find the 6+ a little too big on vacation, and it sucks the 6 doesn't have optical stabilization but from what I hear it's still better at smoothing out shakes and bounces if video than the 5.

If your going to upgrade, skip the 5s, go right to the 6, the focus pixels will certainly save a few out of focus shots you would get with the 5/5s and don't overlook Touch ID, on vacation Apple pay could be a great asset, saving you from having to pull out cash or tickets etc..

Good luck! And check out the 6/6+ picture thread.

stonyboys

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2012
Why even waste your time with a reply like that? Just don't bother posting.. Now on to the question.

I've used the 4,4S, 5 and now currently the 6. Ever since the 5 I have never really had issues getting good photos with these phones. Keep in mind there is more to it then just the hardware. Focusing, keeping steady for the shot, framing and more. The 6 still photos have been quite good for me. I have noticed recording hd video to be the most improved though. I have had no issues selling some of my photos from the 6 on micro stock sites.

I suggest taking a look at this
http://www.phonearena.com/reviews/Camera-comparison-Samsung-Galaxy-Note-4-vs-iPhone-6-iPhone-6-Plus-Sony-Xperia-Z3-LG-G3-Galaxy-S5-Galaxy-Note-3_id3822

So you tell me I'm wasting my time telling him to go look at comparisons, but you post a comparison alongside your subjective opinion on the matter?

jetlagged

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 6, 2012
thank you for the informative reply betabeta. And I also decided to check out google for comparison pictures as suggested. there's not much information between iphone 5 vs iphone 6 as far as video and picture goes. but i found some between the 5s vs 6.

once again, i really appreciate the replies. after some thoughts, I will stick with the iphone 5 for the time being. there's definitely a noticeable improvement in image quality for the iphone every 2 years. while there is only marginal improvement from for an iphone release every year. in other words, iphone 6 image quality is slightly better than the 5s. but where the iphone 6 image quality is so much better compared to the iphone 5.

http://www.businessinsider.com/iphone-6-vs-iphone-5s-camera-2014-9?op=1

Last edited:

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I find the big improvement is in speed and accuracy of focus. As a mom I take a lot of pics in indoor lighting of fast moving kids and pets. My yield of nice, focused shots has dramatically increased! I'm so pleased about that. Last year's pics were about 40% missed shots due to lack of focus and poor exposure. So I guess the AE is a bit faster, too. I'm now getting shots I never expected to get based on my experience with my 5s.

But one thing I haven't been able to figure out is if the over aggressive noise reduction I've experienced on my 5s (a lot) and now my 6plus (sometimes) is due to a hardware fault or a programming quirk. My husband doesn't take enough photos on his 6Plus for me to compare so I'm not sure. But I also get that weird watercolor effect on some pictures even in good light...usually in strong ambient fluorescent light is where I notice it the most.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.