just i thought i was happy with my new mbp

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by liuhui51511, Oct 25, 2008.

1. liuhui51511 macrumors newbie

i just got a new lower-end mbp 3 days ago, it was prefect i was really happy with it. (it really put me off when i read all of those thread, i must say i had my doubt with apple)

i have been using it pretty much for the whole day today from around 10am to 5pm, nothing really fancy, i was just online chatting with some friends and reading some news, that was it! no high graphic demand, no game whatsoever!!!! and then, i realised that the screen started flashing once a little while, top half of the screen went black and flash back to normal. At first i thought it was not a big deal, but it has been doing it for more than 10 times for the whole day.

i really don't know what to do??? it is not a very noticeable problem as you will have to sit down and play with it for a good 20-30mins, it may flash for a sec and then back to normal.

Can any pro here help me out with this problem, is that a big deal or just me overreacting??? please help!!

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

3. DRob macrumors newbie

I had some flickering and fixed it by going to my display preferences and unchecking the automatically adjust screen brightness due to ambient light box. But i don't think mine ever went to black, so this may not help you. but worth a try if you haven't already

4. liuhui51511 thread starter macrumors newbie

tried it and it fixed, hasn't flicked since! thank you very much!!!!:):) Still wanna know why could that happen! does it bug u that ur new machine is not 100% perfect???

5. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

Even my old PowerBook does this in certain lighting conditions with the ambient light censor turned on. It's not a bug, it's just at the threshold where it adjusts the display. Glad you got it sorted anyway ;)

6. liuhui51511 thread starter macrumors newbie

i understand, but it is only the top half of the screen flick, not the whole screen, it happened again today, only couple of times, really thinkin to take it back for an exchange!!:rolleyes:

7. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

If it's only a part of the screen, and it goes completely dark it sounds serious. If it's the whole screen, it's possible to make it go black by lowering the screen brightness all the way via function button. I've done that before, and couldn't figure out how to "wake" it up until I realized I could lower the brightness 1 click at a time until it hits the lowest setting... then the next click shuts it off to black. The computer is actually running normally, and it isn't asleep, so you have to increase the brightness at least 1 click to even see anything. Just an FYI in case you hadn't discovered that yet.
    Good luck.

8. liuhui51511 thread starter macrumors newbie

i shall give a try! thank you

9. indemnityPop Guest

I had a similar problem with my first gen macbook. I finally had to get them to send it back to replace the inverter, and that seems to have fixed the problem, so definitely if you see it again now that you've changed the amibient light setting, call them or see a genius. It'll be easier to take care of sooner rather than later.

You might consider making a video of it if it happens again. Since it's intermittent, that can help give the genius an idea of what's happening.

10. liuhui51511 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you so much! i have made an appointment already today for wed! i will go and get it sort it out! will give you guys a update later on this week, just in case that some mbp fans are facing the same problem and don't know what to do! thank you again!