Just in! Egadget hands on review of the iPad 2...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by kdoug, Mar 9, 2011.

1. kdoug macrumors 6502a

kdoug

2. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

It beats iPad 1 by 1 hour and the Xoom by 2 hours in video play battery life test. Whoa. That's pretty impressive. Too bad about the resolution and crappy cameras but overall looks like a darned solid upgrade.

3. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

4. MattDell macrumors 6502

MattDell

That camera looks bad -- it's not the same one as the iPhone 4?

5. zippyzoom macrumors member

NOpe, its the crappy one off the iPod Touch.

6. PhoneI macrumors 65816

Best part of the engadget review.....

7. melman101 macrumors 68030

Review was generally good. How I expected it? Turbo iPad with cameras essentially. Not ground breaking but incremental.

I still have an excuse to buy it though. Gotta give my iPad 1 to my wife.

8. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

I wonder, what can anyone do to make a tablet "ground breaking"? Even a "Retina" display doesn't change anything fundamentally, just smoother graphics. I guess an obvious item is an active digitizer for some people but that's still a niche market and comes with cost.

9. iserian, Mar 9, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2011

iserian macrumors 6502

Yep. We knew the cameras were going to be sub iPhone 4 so no surprise there. Very incremental.

Quote from engadget ... iPad 2 has a serious photon deficiency....

10. Davichi macrumors 6502

I don't understand why everyone is making a so big deal about camera. Someone would really want to hold 10 inch tablet and take a picture and he/she would do this daily?

It's 499 dollars. It's not 799 dollars like some other tablet.

How sad.

Go buy 799 dollars tablet and enjoy 5 megapixel camera, 100 apps and extra weight with shorter battery life.

I will buy an iPad for 499 dollars and save my 300 dollars for nice little digital camera that will be 10-12 megapixel and it will record up to 1080P movie.

Other tablets are not even a competition.

iPad wins until these stupid competitions can match the price and numbers of apps.

So far, no one can come close to iPad.

11. MarioB macrumors member

12. Davichi macrumors 6502

Uh oh, it's not 1GB ram. Android fanboys now can go buy xoom and pay 300 dollars more.

13. AMDGAMER macrumors 6502

I like Apple stuff as much as anyone, and I'll probably pick this up...but it COULD be better STILL..iPad 3 will be the one to have.

14. iserian macrumors 6502

A comparable ipad costs 729 ... look it up.

[QUOTE=Davichi;12102111]Uh oh, it's not 1GB ram. Android fanboys now can go buy xoom and pay 300 dollars more.[/QUOTE]

15. blackNBUK macrumors 6502a

Well the really ground-breaking bit was releasing a tablet with all of it's software desiged for touch and Apple did that last year with the original iPad. I think the next advance will come slowly with more and more ambitious software being created for tablets. It sounds like GarageBand and iMovie and a good (if crashy) step on that road but there is a long way to go yet.

I agree that an active digitiser would be an obvious thing to add but there are significant technical challenges. You need a high res screen to allow handwriting to be small, you need to create a pen that makes writing on glass feel natural and you probably need a handwriting recognition engine. Plus styli are currently associated with the failed Windows tablets; I doubt Apple wants that association anywhere near the iPad.

16. iserian macrumors 6502

Yes. Unless you need facetime there may not be anything compelling for ipad1 owners.

17. iPadThai macrumors 6502a

Engadget's review just sucked.

That josh guy seems so frickin' infatuated with photobooth and garageband and imovie - come on, how is the frickin' web browsing speed? How about measure how fast a page loads up in seconds compared to an iPad 1.

Jesus, I'm about to go to apple on friday and run some tests myself. These people are raving about speed but show no frickin' real reviews about speed - not a single video showing ipad 1 game vs ipad 2 game.

18. HXGuy macrumors 68000

What about the fact that's it's considerably faster and more compact?

[​IMG]

19. joltaxt macrumors regular

About the smart cover:

and our test device actually got a nasty scratch on the back because there was nothing there to protect it. We love the convenience of the Smart Cover and the way it looks, but if you're seriously concerned about the entire iPad (and not just the display), you might want to check out other options.

Yikes!

20. iPadThai macrumors 6502a

These numbers show NOTHING - why don't they video tape ipad 2 loading up games, rendering frames, etc. vs. ipad 1?

More convincing than some geek numbers....

21. Davichi macrumors 6502

[/QUOTE]

So, I am just suppose to be just okay that Motorola decided to just offer a tablet for 799 dollars with no other options?

I don't need 4G because Verizon 4G is still in early stage.

I don't need 5 megapixel camera on the back. I don't take pictures with tablet.

Comparable iPad costs 729 dollars and I know how much that costs. Thank you, but I don't care. I can buy ipad with 499 dollars and it will do exactly what I need it to do.

Xoom? I have no choice but to buy at 799 dollars.

No No No. With that money, I will just buy MBA.

22. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I felt the same way until I tried it. Its actually kinda fun. Its like watching and recording live TV. I took some video with my Xoom at a school reunion and we had a blast. People could stand behind me and see what I was filming. And the facetime video on apple.com makes a great case for buying one of these for Mom....

23. iserian macrumors 6502

That was my first thought when I saw jobs key note. Unfortunately for those of us who want a bit more protection the not so smart cover may be a bust.

24. Bcos17 macrumors newbie

25. iserian macrumors 6502

Same here. I find myself using my xooms cameras quite a bit more than I had anticipated. I'm hopeful that the cameras are not as crappy as the gadget review suggested.