Just in: "Mick Jagger on Trump Using Stones Songs: I ‘Can’t Stop’ Him"

thermodynamic

Suspended
Original poster
May 3, 2009
USA
http://www.thedailybeast.com/cheats/2016/10/12/mick-jagger-on-trump-using-stones-songs-i-can-t-stop-him.html

:facepalm:

This is in no relation to my earlier lighthearted thread, I did not know Trump was using their songs wrongly, nor did I know until I looked up the guy to see if he was even still alive. Dude looks 90, not 70. Aren't the drugs supposed to pickle and preserve the body? Not make it look like a half-squished cigarette? Anyway, I hope Trump paid the license fee involved, many Republicans (and a few Democrats) have a knack of not doing so:

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/why-politicians-keep-using-songs-without-artists-permission-20150709

If nothing else, if Pence drops out, maybe Trump can use Jagger as his replacement since I made the mistake of clicking on this:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2379658/Mick-Jagger-70-A-rock-god-No-silly-old-phoney-As-Rolling-Stones-frontman-turns-70-basking-adulation-sell-concerts-historian-provocative-view.html

Dayum... this day gets more and more bizarre... I know rock stars have groupies and can be loose, but... eww. Just, eww. Well, almost. For being 700 years old and pickled with illegal drugs, he looks amazingly thin and muscular. But not in the sexy Tina Turner way. He probably will live to 700 thanks to all the all-natural preservatives he used back in the day...

Reactions: AlliFlowers

MadeTheSwitch

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2009
A more pressing question that I have been meaning to ask for many months is just why Trump uses “You Can’t Always Get What You Want” at his rallies? That seems to run counter to his message. Unless he was planning to lose to begin with and has been telegraphing to his supporters all along that they won't be getting what they want!

Reactions: twietee and LizKat

LizKat

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
A more pressing question that I have been meaning to ask for many months is just why Trump uses “You Can’t Always Get What You Want” at his rallies? That seems to run counter to his message. Unless he was planning to lose to begin with and has been telegraphing to his supporters all along that they won't be getting what they want!
I always figured at first it was just about this

But if you try sometimes you just might find
You get what you need

But you know that song actually has some pretty strange lyrics, so it might have been more about something besides that refrain, maybe this

I saw her today at the reception
In her glass was a bleeding man
She was practiced at the art of deception
Well I could tell by her blood-stained hands
Really there's no telling what's going on in the mind of Donald Trump.

Reactions: MadeTheSwitch
Of all the songs he'd choose, this one is a double-edged sword. I suppose he sees it as a thumb in the eye of detractors. "You wanted someone else but you need me."

Personally, I'd nominate this British Invasion nugget instead:

I'm a loser
I'm a loser
And I'm not what I appear to be
Of all the love I have won or have lost
There is one love I should never have crossed
She was a girl in a million, my friend
I should have known she would win in the end
I'm a loser
And I lost someone who's near to me
I'm a loser
Although I laugh and I act like a clown
Beneath this mask I am wearing a frown
My tears are falling like rain from the sky
Is it for her or myself that I cry
I'm a loser
And I lost someone who's near to me
I'm a loser
What have I done to deserve such a fate
I realize I have left it too late
And so it's true, pride comes before a fall
I'm telling you so that you won't lose all
[...]
Bonus: in this live version, Lennon ad libs a line: "beneath this wig I am wearing a tie."

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Making fun of Jagger's appearance while those guys are on tour for almost 60 years. Impressive.