JUST IN: NSA Paid millions to Tech companies

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by oplix, Aug 23, 2013.

1. oplix macrumors 65816

oplix

2. MacNut, Aug 23, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2013

MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Whoops.
    The house of lies just keeps growing.

3. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

Maybe this is what we need to get people out to vote.

4. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Who are they going to vote for that will do anything? The Republicans started all of this and quite a few Democrats supported them then, and now Obama and the rest of the Democrats are continuing it and most likely will keep supporting it. And no one else can get elected. Even if a third party started to make some gains none of them are particularly great either, if you look at the results from 2012 the two third parties with the most votes were the Libertarian party and the Green party. The Libertarian party would be terrifying to have in power as they are basically the tea party but even more extreme sure they probably would stop the NSA, but they would stop everything else the government does too. And the Green party seems to be more of a single issue party, sure they advocate for some good things with environmentalism but I don't think they have a good enough platform on anything else to effectively govern.

5. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Since when does the government pay out for compliance on laws? Is the US going to pay for my tax attorney?

6. ThisIsNotMe macrumors 68000

Still don't get the issue.
    Everyone knew that the sole purpose of these companies was to gather data on users and sell it.
    Government, advertiser, no difference.

7. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Probably has something to do with the government using tax payer money to do this.

8. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

And a little thing called privacy policies. MacRumors has one, wonder if it is still valid.

9. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

All your base are belong to us.

10. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

http://www.randpaul2016.com/

Except not at all. Libertarians would stop the waste in the current system. This should neither surprise you nor scare you.

11. 4JNA, Aug 26, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2013

4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

strange new/old/newnew world.

it would seem too narrow given the current situation.

'all your base are belong to everyone'

'all your base are belong to higest bidder'

'all your base are belong to not youself'

12. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

LOL, I think not.

A few stances:
    • I'm "a pro-life Christian" (Oct 2010)
    • No amnesty; respect the law. (Jul 2010)
    • ObamaCare is still unconstitutional, despite Supreme Court. (Aug 2012)
    • As only democracy in Mideast, Israel is important ally. (Feb 2011)
    • Exit the UN; maintain US sovereignty. (Nov 2010)
    • Unelected EPA should not regulate greenhouse emissions. (Oct 2010)
    • Energy crisis stems from too much government intervention. (Jul 2010)
    • Voted YES on barring EPA from regulating greenhouse gases. (Apr 2011)
    • Cut corporate tax in half to create millions of jobs. (Feb 2013)
    • Punishing the rich means the poor lose their jobs. (Aug 2012)
    • Opposes same-sex marriage. (Nov 2009)
    • Voted NO on reauthorizing the Violence Against Women Act. (Feb 2013)
    • My opponents call me libertarian but I'm pro-life. (Feb 2011)
    • Life begins at conception. (Jul 2010)

Government so small it can fit in your vagina!

13. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

The viewpoints you don't like are secondary for Rand Paul to this point right there. Small government. It doesn't matter that Rand is a Christian. Good for him! He doesn't want to push it on you.

He's pro life. Good for him! He believes there are "thousands of exceptions" to an abortion ban. Rand Paul is against government run abortions. Why should I pay for someone else's abortion?

He doesn't personally believe in gay marriage, yet he believes in protecting the rights of individuals to enter contracts with one another (which is essentially what marriage is now).

Seriously, enough of this. No matter how you frame it or how you make Rand Paul look as a person, his political views are far different than the Republican base and a major improvement over what we have now.

14. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Rand Paul wants to dismantle the country and pretty much take it back to how it was under the articles of confederation where you had every state essentially as a separate country and a federal government too weak to do anything. That didn't work in the 1700s and won't work today. While his foreign policy and positions on domestic spying are good I wouldn't vote for him as I'd rather live in a stable country. Maybe if he was wanting to go as far as actually dissolving the USA, and I could live in one of the new countries made up of former Blue states it wouldn't be so bad...

15. AustinIllini, Aug 26, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2013

AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

This is why you need to read for yourself. He wants smaller government. That does not mean he doesn't believe in national security and he certainly does not believe in the Articles of Confederation.

16. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Why? Everyone understands that every dollar the Gub'ment spends is tax payer money. The Government has not source of income other than taxes. And kick backs and bribes, but those are supposedly illegal and hush-hush.

17. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

Well, I used to work for an OIG (Office of Inspector General) at an unnamed Fed agency, and we recovered more Federal grant $ (fraud, waste, abuse) than our operating budget. So we were net negative cost.

But yeah, the agency obviously still spent a net positive of taxpayer $.

18. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

And, there it is. The best defense for government surveillance programs is Facebook. The logical construct of the playground and a complete refusal to acknowledge the difference between volunteering your data and having someone steal it from you in order to build cases from agencies that use extraordinary rendition or extrajudicial killing.

Eh. Paul's libertarianism has some serious problems. While I agree with him on several subjects, his adherence to Objectivism means he might just sell us out to corporations.

As others have pointed out, you don't pay for abortions and there's no such thing as "government run abortions." There is a firewall between abortions and other kinds of health care at Planned Parenthood and other organizations.

Paul's run to the bestiality argument illustrates how gauzy libertarian gilding really is. He would leave it to the states, where state representatives could limit liberty, which means he doesn't care about liberty, but just state representation. This is hardly comforting and legally, falls apart pretty quickly.

I agree with this. The horror of the current Republican party is how it's taken the worst of America's ideas and pureed them into some horrible assemblage of ideological wankery, anti-science demography, and virulent nationalism.

Of course, in a move toward parity, large numbers of Democrats seem intent on sounding as dumb as their Republican counterparts.

19. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

You post this like these are bad things. I am not a Libertarian, but maybe I should be. Small government=good.

----------

I hate to say, but this isn't saying much. Anything is better than what we have now. I never thought I would miss G.W. Bush.

20. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

a) how is opposing gay marriage or abortion libertarian?

b) how is Obama worse than Bush?

21. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

We see how the discussion got off-track, and on to abortion issues. It wasn't so much a case of off-topic posts, but rather just something that happened.

There have however been some requests to help get the discussion back to the OP, and that seemed reasonable. So I cleaned it up a bit. Carry on... :)