Just inherited an iPad 2 running iOS 6 Should I upgrade to iOS 8?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Chozzles, Jan 4, 2015.

1. Chozzles macrumors newbie

Just received an underused iPad 2 (32GB) from a relative who wasn't using it. Still had iOS 5.x on it; I was able to upgrade it to iOS 6.1.3, but the next step up is 8.1.2. I've read some horror stories online about the iPad 2 running iOS 8 and recommending people stay with iOS 7.1.2, but as Apple is no longer code signing that version for iPad 2, I'm stuck either at 6 or 8. Any thoughts? So far the biggest annoyance about staying in 6 is that some apps require iOS 7 or higher to download (Calendars 5 by Readdle so far being the one I miss most sorely). Any thoughts/advice? This iPad will be mostly used for email, reading/browsing, and video watching and streaming (VLC, Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc).

Many thanks!!!

2. adam9c1 macrumors 65816

adam9c1

If you are ok with the set of apps that will run I strongly recommend you do not upgrade iOS.

3. Readdlemate macrumors 6502

Readdlemate

Hi there! This problem may cause with an upgrade from Gold Master version to 8.0.0. Current version is much more stable.
    Also, we don't know if the next iOS verion will be avaliable on iPad 2.
    Anyway, is would be great if you save all your sensative data, such as files or contacts, on the desktop or cloud storage.

Best regards,
    Readdle Team

4. Chozzles thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks all! So far so good sticking with 6.1.3. Not sure if everyone knew this already, but a workaround if the App Store won't let you download an older version of an app is to buy it in the iTunes store on your computer. Once you own it, the App Store on your iPad will give you the option of downloading an older version.

5. iososx macrumors 6502a

iososx

I'd avoid IOS 8.X it's filled with bugs and all kinds of issues. Doesn't matter what it's on either. Apple is sliding backwards lately.

6. Delmar macrumors 6502

Thank you. This is good to know. Good call not upgrading from 6.1.3.

7. oldmacs macrumors 68040

I'm happy with 8.1.3 on my iPad 2. Its not terrible, its just a little slower than iOS 7, which was a little slower than iOS 6. iOS 8 is getting better with each release, but yes it has been quite buggy. It even lags on A7 and A8 device.

I'd wait though. 8.2 is meant to be better on the A5, and 8.3 and 8.4 may be better as well.

8. Oudinot macrumors regular

Oudinot

Under no circumstances should you upgrade to IOS 8. It doesn't work for beans on an iPad 2 and can make it almost unusable. IOS 7 worked fine but not sure you can go to it anymore. It's slow, pages are constantly reloading, and it's terribly slooooooooooow. Did I mention that it is slow?

9. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Wow. Not the experience we are seeing here with our ipad 2. The latest update, 8.1.3 smoothed things out and made performance reasonably decent. Most people have done well with the iOS updates on their second gen ipads.

10. oldmacs macrumors 68040

Web pages do reload (Though iOS 8.1.3 has improved things), but your iPad 2 should not be unusable. Clean installs and resetting settings can work wonders.